Who has the superior route/switch OS?

doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
In your opinion, who has the superior? Cisco or Juniper?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco....

Because Cisco is Jesus......:D
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    JUNOS is the nicest in my opinion. IOS-XR is nice as well. NX-OS meh. IOS sucks. Most other vendors are IOS copy cats.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    I'm just now learning JunOS, so hoping to formulate an opinion on it soon. I'll need to decide if I want to stay with the Cisco track, or move over to Juniper.
    If you're looking to be marketable nothing beats Cisco certs still.
    Have you not found your JNCIP-SP as valuable as your CCNP?
    It definitely doesn't have the broad appeal to employers. It has helped me specifically because I have worked in SP networks that use Juniper routers. I'd still suggest people go Cisco certs first and foremost unless they are already in a Juniper environment. Even then Cisco might help you more in the future.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me it all depends on what the requirements are for the issue I'm trying to solve. I'm still learning JunOS and while there are things it does a lot better than IOS (commit, commit confirmed, not having 50+ features turned on out of the box) I don't really like the hierarchy display. Depending on how many features you have turned on it can make the configuration unnecessarily long. I know you can just "display set" but it still doesn't compare to "show run" for me on Cisco IOS.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
    stlsmoore wrote: »
    I don't really like the hierarchy display. Depending on how many features you have turned on it can make the configuration unnecessarily long. I know you can just "display set" but it still doesn't compare to "show run" for me on Cisco IOS.

Yeah, that's one thing I like about Cisco IOS better. Show run is just easier for me to read at a glance.
  • Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Cisco....

Because Cisco is Jesus......:D

icon_thumright.gif
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Routers - Juniper
    Switches - Cisco
    Firewalls - Palo / Fortinet
  • fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    I had to deal with an HP Procurve switch once, with the tagged and untagged port commands. What a POS. HP, never again.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, that's one thing I like about Cisco IOS better. Show run is just easier for me to read at a glance.

The more I work with JunOS, the more I actually like how it is structured. If you are looking for specific config info, learning to pipe filters will make life a lot easier. I don't generally look at configs as a whole very often, I am typically looking for a specific policy, tunnel, or NAT. Once I learned how to master the filters, it got a lot easier.
  • CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    I had to deal with an HP Procurve switch once, with the tagged and untagged port commands. What a POS. HP, never again.

You're complaining because of tag and untag commands?

----

There are things I like and dislike about the way Cisco and Juniper do things. Though, I have to say that I am way more comfortable with Cisco since I don't work much on Junipers. We do have Junipers in the border and other parts of the network. For the most part, we have Cisco stuff.

I agree with the other guy that mentioned about Palo Alto Networks for firewall.
    CSCOnoob wrote: »
    You're complaining because of tag and untag commands?

He got "wtfpwn'd" by it. (his term)
  • sharansinghsharansingh Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As always Cisco no more option.
    Cisco IOS is the worst.... Horrible config management. No API.