Hottest jobs in the next 5 years

DDStimeDDStime Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
Interested in seeing what everyone thinks are going to be the hottest jobs for the next 5 years.

Please refrain from using the media for your assumption and use your current experience and/or past experience.

Try to be as specific as possible ie: security>cyber>information assurance

Comments

• steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    I would love to see the responses to your question.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the next buzzword: DevOpsec
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Big Data analysts!
  • DDStimeDDStime Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am seeking a big trend towards secure architecture and infosec, but that is on the gov side of the house and its been like that for years.
  • $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    Big Data analysts!

Yup. Have a few friends who are two years out of college making $73,500, the other one has her PHD from Tech so she might make a little bit more.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    call me crazy..... I lean toward robotics and programming them
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anything security is going to be in demand five years from now, but from my viewpoint, these are going to be particularly in demand:

- Secure design (programmers, architects, and other individuals who understand how to design a system or program securely). Required by industries from game studios to software developers to auto manufacturers, and particularly the latter.

- Managed security. A lot of people and businesses are realizing that they need security, but they can't do it in-house. Similarly, a lot of vendors are realizing that they can make some money selling security boxes or a WHOLE LOT MORE money selling the box plus a managed security subscription... and while this is not a brand new concept, I don't think it has reached maximum acceleration yet.

- Government security jobs. Obviously... both on the defensive side and the offensive side. Cyber is one of the few GS segments that is still actively growing despite budget shortfalls. Similarly, cyber contracting is still booming. We saw a big spike in demand for risk management people when the NIST RMF deadline came out a couple of years ago, and I think the next big spike is going to come along with the expansion of Cyber Command and the new 17-series Army MOS. Whatever green-suiters are doing, you will find defense contractors supporting right alongside them.

So there's three! Also, ANSIBLE ANSIBLE ANSIBLE.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    And next on buzzword bingo :P

Security is always going to be hot. Same with automation, networking, cloud engineers, devops, etc. Some of these jobs have existed before but the day-to-day and functions are changing with the industry. I know Jeremy Stretch from Packetlife did a LOT of blog posts on the CLI and different configs but I remember him mentioning recently that he's using python scripts to build data centers and push out configs in minutes. Pretty awesome stuff
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This might be out of 5 years, but active security professionals who are on the hot seat looking out for issues before they start. Think of the issue with automated cars and someone bugging up I-75 during rush hour.

You can call them Active Threat Technicians.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Moving technologies back to on-premise from the "cloud."
  • Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How about Linux, virtualization, storage?
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    AI and neural networks.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Muhammed H wrote: »
    How about Linux, virtualization, storage?
    Is Linux running on bare-metal at your workplace?
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Raises hand, big data here. In fact working with a series of algorithms for time series forecasting. Pretty sweet and even sweeter is developing tabular SSAS data warehouses. Still taking baby steps in the development piece but the analysis is coming along really nicely.

The opportunities are endless but man it requires a lot of works and I am not talking certifications, but just strong understanding and knowledge. Stats, web programming, database just to name a few. It can get overwhelming. Then you have to tie it into a specific industry or you are just another Joe. (Sorry if your name is Joe).

It truly is a life long commitment. In my two oldest children have been instructed if they want to go to college and have it paid for by mom and dad they will either need to get their degree in math or stats. I won't pay for another degree, they are free to borrow money or use the banking system for loans.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Security, DevOps, Automation

If you can automate yourself out of a job. You'll never be out of a job.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Heh I used to work in Automation from 2010 - 2012. The trouble was the company I will be shortly leaving sucked at it, all I had time for was installations and no development of the tools themselves. It was pretty poop. Though I did get into full time networking and got my CCIE so life hasn't been all that bad.

Security is indeed always going to be the big thing - probably moreso with looking at recent events. I've got my IE Sec written exam shortly and at this stage I am undecided if I'm taking a lab, but at least the option is always there should I decide to go for it.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Programming and automation they go hand in hand. Learn to do any of that and you will be fine.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Security. If I had to pick subsections:
    1 - Management - everybody around me is hiring tons of analysts that currently report to network or sysadmin managers. They'll learn their lesson soon enough....
    2 - Architecture - not sure if this hits leadership, management, or consultant. Best place is probably leadership (CISO) for large companies or managers for small-to-mid. Consultants are in-and-out which doesn't help deliver the goods home over the long run.
    3 - Privacy - Duh. Nobody is jumping on this bandwagon yet, but they will be in the coming years, mark my words.

Big data. Pace of data is accelerating and storage is becoming cheaper.

Cloud. Lots of people around me say migrating from cloud back to on-prem, but that's a shot in the dark from people who aren't close enough to the situation. I'm pretty close to the cloud with Microsoft, Amazon, Google, etc. and let me tell you - all of these providers are building functionality into the cloud that they purposely are not building into on-prem applications. Active Directory and Exchange for example, two of the building blocks of most mid-to-large companies. "Cloud" AD and Exchange are getting some awesome new features with more in the pipeline. Absolutely none of those features are planned for on-prem Server 2016 or Exchange 2016 applications. In other words, on-prem will remain steady state while the cloud will be delivering the features companies want for the foreseeable future.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Big Data & Compliance
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Programming and automation they go hand in hand. Learn to do any of that and you will be fine.

Duly noted. which is why learning powershell/linux BASH and automation are important....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    joemc3 wrote: »
    This might be out of 5 years, but active security professionals who are on the hot seat looking out for issues before they start. Think of the issue with automated cars and someone bugging up I-75 during rush hour.

You can call them Active Threat Technicians.
    Yeah, I just watched a commercial of a new refrigerator that has a video camera inside to see your groceries.

Being in the security field I immediately thought that was a dumb idea and people would never buy that because of the privacy concern.

.... wife walked in the room..."hey that's a great idea, we should get a fridge like that"....

The future is here and we are doomed in the sec field.
  • historian1974historian1974 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anything healthcare.