Distinguishing Docker Training Options from Red Hat

Hello All,

I have been looking into Docker training from Red Hat and there seems to be a few overlapping options.

Option 1: RH270 Managing Containers with Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host
  • Install and manage Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host
  • Manage Linux containers
  • Build custom container images with Dockerfile
  • Publish container images with a private Docker registry
  • Deploy multitiered containerized applications with Kubernetes
  • Troubleshoot Red Hat Enterprise Linux Atomic Host

Option 2: DO276 Containerizing Software Applications
  • Creating containers using Docker
  • Working with image registries
  • Providing persistent storage to a container
  • Creating new images using Dockerfiles
  • Implementing image design recommended practices
  • Linking containers
  • Orchestrating containers using Kubernetes
  • Provisioning development and testing environments with Vagrant

Option 3: DO280 OpenShift Enterprise Administration
  • Container concepts
  • Configuring resources with the command line interface
  • Building a pod
  • Enabling services for a pod
  • Creating routes
  • Downloading and configuring images
  • Rolling back and activating deployments
  • Creating custom S2I images
  • Comprehensive review

DO270 Does not have an associated exam
DO276 Leads to Exam EX276
DO280 Leads to Exam EX280

So based on above:

1. Wanted to know of anyone has any opinions on which of the above would be a good starting place.
2. Wanted to know if anyone has any non- RedHat suggestions

Comments

• wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    I liked the DO280 course. There will definitely be a considerable amount of overlap between the three courses. DO276 is geared towards developers I believe. How much docker/linux container experience do you have currently?
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    I liked the DO280 course. There will definitely be a considerable amount of overlap between the three courses. DO276 is geared towards developers I believe. How much docker/linux container experience do you have currently?

I currently have a considerable amount of knowledge, none of it unfortunately in docker ;) Never used docker, coming in fresh.

I was looking for something that isn't Red-washed i.e. a more community/vanilla docker choice. DO280 seems to be quick tailored to Red Hat
  • wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    DO280 is geared towards OpenShift (3.x specifically). Even though Docker is the container format that OSE 3.x uses, most of the course will explain the inner workings of OSE (you'll mostly be using OSE image repositories instead of Docker; well, you'll pull docker images and then push them to the OSE registry). RH270 would probably be your best bet.
    DO280 is geared towards OpenShift (3.x specifically). Even though Docker is the container format that OSE 3.x uses, most of the course will explain the inner workings of OSE (you'll mostly be using OSE image repositories instead of Docker; well, you'll pull docker images and then push them to the OSE registry). RH270 would probably be your best bet.

Think I will try and go down the 270 (Red Hat Atomic) route first .. it appear's I have entitlement to download and try it out.
  • junilinuxjunilinux Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    asummers wrote: »
    I currently have a considerable amount of knowledge, none of it unfortunately in docker ;) Never used docker, coming in fresh.

I was looking for something that isn't Red-washed i.e. a more community/vanilla docker choice. DO280 seems to be quick tailored to Red Hat

My company also want to be getting familiar with the Docker so I am in progress of learning as a newcomer. Do you have any idea on finding some resources like books, free online courses?? Personally I prefer book than online courses
    junilinux wrote: »
    My company also want to be getting familiar with the Docker so I am in progress of learning as a newcomer. Do you have any idea on finding some resources like books, free online courses?? Personally I prefer book than online courses

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-enterprise-linux-atomic-host/7/single/getting-started-guide/

Seems a good guide to getting it all up and running.
  • flashdumperflashdumper Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do not know if it's late or not, but so you know
    RHEL Atomic host is a custom image and has its own features and properties.

If you want to get into Containerized environment, DO276 is your best friend. Then do DO280.