Options

Lost my motivation to study

2»

Comments

• Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been in this mode for quite awhile like 2 yrs. In my case I have reached a very high level without certs and just am not seeing any noticeable benefit to grabbing a cert. However I have several degrees and years of experience behind me. You on the other may not and a cert will help you move you salary up and your career along. If you are happy where you are and have no desire to do anything else keep doing what you are doing. If you are not get to studying.
  • Options
    Benj94Benj94 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently in a similar position.
    I really enjoyed studying for my A+. I believe the reason was because the Exam Cram book was such an easy read.

I bought the Sybex book for Net+ and it's a hell of a lot more of a difficult read. I start my new job in a few weeks and i'm hoping I will get in to the habit of turning up 30 minutes early so I have a set 30 minute slot to study. Once I get going again, I know i'll be fine and i'll start to be able to dedicate more time.

Hope you get over this set-back sooner rather than later!

Server and Storage Analyst
    CompTIA A+
    MSCA: Server 2016 - 70-710 70-711 70-712
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Advice?

So you need motivation? Do you have a pet? If so I'll kidnap it and send you a note if you ever want to see your pet again, pass your next certification exam. icon_twisted.gif

Actually with so many distractions in life, I too have trouble getting motivated sometimes. It really depends on how much you really want it, and if you want it bad enough go to a place with no distractions and hit the books. I recommend an insane asylum, nice padded walls, no windows or TV. Study Heaven.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    It's not so much an issue of wanting it, it's that my year of studying did nothing for me. Just hard to keep pushing through when all the pushing you've done so far has been meaningless. In other news, I've sent in the application to WGU for the BS:IT Security program (or BA, forget which it is.). They should have my transcript today or tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to start in August.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I lost my motivation to live, but suicide seems like so much work.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    So you need motivation? Do you have a pet? If so I'll kidnap it and send you a note if you ever want to see your pet again, pass your next certification exam. icon_twisted.gif

Actually with so many distractions in life, I too have trouble getting motivated sometimes. It really depends on how much you really want it, and if you want it bad enough go to a place with no distractions and hit the books. I recommend an insane asylum, nice padded walls, no windows or TV. Study Heaven.

Yes, I live with a Komodo dragon whose cranky this time a year while guarding her clutch of eggs. Ben gentle with her as she is liable to take an arm off otherwise. I'll send you the address. icon_thumright.gif

- b/eads
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I lost my motivation to live, but suicide seems like so much work.

Pfft hahaha! I was actually suicidal a couple years ago, but luckily was too afraid to hurt myself. Even though that's probably a good thing, it kind of made me feel like a pansy. icon_rolleyes.gif