Options

Recommended practice exams?

amber27amber27 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I'm taking my Security + exam on Wednesday. I do not have IT experience though I am very familiar with the security requirements under HIPAA and often review/draft HIPAA-related policies (so I feel comfortable with compliance and operational security). I have to take this exam for my job and am so bummed about it b/c a) I hate failing, and b) networking is foreign to me.

I'm using Gibson's book and Messer's videos. Although I'm scoring well on Gibson's practice tests (>90%) I'm concerned about the networking and application/host security objectives. Although I score well in these areas, I don't fully appreciate the underlying concepts, and am concerned about applying what I'm learning to the real exam questions as I've read here that none of the practice questions out there are like the ones on the exam.

I just wanted to double-check to see if there is any recommended source of exam questions. I'd like to practice with some questions that set a scenario, identify the problem, and asks for the solution, like this one I found from Prowse:

Your network has a DHCP server, AAA server, LDAP server, and e-mail server. Instead of authenticating wireless connections locally at the WAP, you want to utilize RADIUS for the authentication process. When you configure the WAP’s authentication screen, what server should you point to, and which port should you use?
A. The DHCP server and port 67
B. The AAA server and port 1812
C. The LDAP server and port 389
D. The e-mail server and port 143

Although I know in the end it's a simple port question, I need to learn how to discern what's really important from the fluff. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    amber27 wrote: »
    Although I know in the end it's a simple port question, I need to learn how to discern what's really important from the fluff. Any ideas?

The correct answer would depend on the context of the question. To understand what the question is asking you need to know the material. There isn't a a standard methodology that can be appliedto all questions. You can use process of elimination but that would only get you as far as 50/50. Only way is to understand the question.
  • Options
    alfred06alfred06 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    didnt see much questions like that on the exam. Sec+ is pretty straight forward questions. good luck to you. download the objectives of Sec+ and just make sure you know them, you'll do fine.
  • Options
    Thanks guys - really appreciate your insight. I'll just keep pushing forward with the objectives, learning as much as I can, and hope for the best!
  • Options
    Many thanks, Skyliinez92.
  • Options
    mayacosta78mayacosta78 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello! I just took and passed the exam today. My best advice is do not get too caught up on what questions will be on the actual exam. I cannot stress this enough. Just know the material and ensure you UNDERSTAND it. When you are taking the practice exams, understand why you got an answer wrong. In my opinion, no matter how tricky the wording gets or vague the question sounds, If you know the material, you cannot be fooled.
  • Options
    Congratulations mayacosta78!!! and thanks for your input. I hope I'm in the same boat as you tomorrow!
  • Options
    asiru77asiru77 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Correct answer is The AAA server and port 1812