Options

Easy for a Canadian moving to California for an IT job?

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone ever did this before or moved to another State? I have a great cushy Government IT job but I'm quite bored in my small town. After I get a couple more certs I may start looking to move next year and Cali is definitely on my list. I guess my main question is would a U.S. company even think about hiring a Canadian when they could just hire an American who is already in Cali?

Comments

• Options
    sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in a similar position (government IT). I live in a small city (in the US) and am looking to move to a bigger city out of state to further my IT career. Have recently gotten my CCNA and began job searching out of state a couple weeks ago.

I have gotten a couple callbacks where the employer hasn't realized I was out of state, and the job interview basically ended there once they did. I am sure there have also been plenty that haven't contacted me in the first place because of being out of state. But I have also received callbacks who have been fine with it. I just tell them I was planning to relocate and will be financing the move myself, including any face-to-face interviews they want to have.

Bottom line is, it might take a little more time, but try not to be discouraged. An opportunity will come along. The out-of-state move might have to be a lateral one career-wise, but that puts you in a position for upward movement once you are a local.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's not "easy" when it comes to moving to another country for work. You'd need a Visa and a sponsor for employment, and they'd need to prove that they cannot find an American who can do that job.

So, it won't be easy for you to relocate to the US. Possible? Yes. Easy? No.
  • Options
    sharansinghsharansingh Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it is not easy as you think.moving from one country to another country specially for US it is a difficult task. You have to complete various requirements for US visa, like sponsorship from a company in US, financial support etc.
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "TN status or TN visa is a special non-immigrant status in the United States unique to citizens of Canada and citizens of Mexico. It allows Canadian and Mexican citizens the opportunity to work in each other's countries in certain professional occupations. It bears a similarity, in some ways, to the H-1B visa, but also has many unique features. Within the TN set of occupations, an American, Canadian or Mexican can work for up to three years[1] at a time, but may be renewed indefinitely."

Only certain positions are eligable.

Some that may apply to you:

Computer Systems Analyst Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or Post-Secondary Diploma[note 3] or Post-Secondary certificate, and three years' experience

Engineer Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree; or state/provincial license