Options

Do you put "Pursuing...." in your resume?

Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
Was looking through resumes and found this
Pursuing OSCP and CISSP
Pursuing "....some training..."
Pursuing "... post grad course..."
Pursuing.....

Has anyone studied for and passed both OSCP and CISSP at the same time? icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That would turn me off as well. I understand some people sometimes have something in motion and want to let the interviewer know that, so I will usually let one item slide but that is just bizarre. Depending on how many resumes you have that one would most likely make its way to the trash ****.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont mind seeing degrees listed as in progress as long as they are being actively pursued. In my opinion, certifications 'in progress' should be discussed in the interview if relevant but not listed on the resume
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is the difference that enrolling in school is a more solid commitment?
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If enrolled full time, I kind of think so... I was 'pursuing' the CISSP certification off and on for a couple of years before I actually got serious and buckled down and self-studied for 4 or 5 months coupled with a boot camp. I think the big difference is on a light to no work experience, graduating in 2 months and looking for the 1st gig resume.

That being said, I have now gotten serious about finishing my degree and I am enrolled at WGU, but have not added 'pursuing' the BS to my degree. Of course, I am a 20 year IT/Infosec vet and have a little more on my resume than the scenario above :) Since work is paying the lion's share of the cost of said degree, I am not actively pursuing other positions either.

10+ of those 20 years were spent as a hiring manager, if I got a resume that had 'pursuing xyz cert', I always grilled the candidate on what that meant and when they expected to sit the exam. In my mind pursuing certs are best brought up in the interview.
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I do not, I used to as a filler when I was first starting out and had very few IT skills and no certificationsuch.

After I got a few certifications under my belt I removed it.

As others have said I bring it up during the interview if appropriate.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No, I wouldn't. Anything like that I would discuss at interview if I am asked.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Something like that for a degree is fine, but not for a certification. The reason for that is a certification is just the final exam of a single course that you did on your own. A degree is multiple courses per semester, over a few years (depending on the degree).

I can see putting OSCP down as in progress, maybe, if they're actively enrolled in the course and working on it. Even that is a maybe though.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Only, and I mean only, if the certification is certified mixologist. That stuff takes a lifetime to master.
  • Options
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    I do not, I used to as a filler when I was first starting out and had very few IT skills and no certificationsuch.
    After I got a few certifications under my belt I removed it.
    I would do the same but the applicant has several years experience and some entry level infosec certs.
    jcundiff wrote: »
    I dont mind seeing degrees listed as in progress as long as they are being actively pursued. In my opinion, certifications 'in progress' should be discussed in the interview if relevant but not listed on the resume
    The reason for that is a certification is just the final exam of a single course that you did on your own. A degree is multiple courses per semester, over a few years (depending on the degree).
    Agree. The resume was 5 pages long with some choice words highlighted.
    Depending on how many resumes you have that one would most likely make its way to the trash ****.
    Done. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    I agree with above except with maybe the caveat that if they were otherwise exceptionally experienced/accomplished I would be more trusting of the "pursuing..." Like if they have 10+ years of experience they may have let more minor certs expire but be about to take some expert ones. Still there is certainly a limit on how many "pursuing..." one can have before redflags start going off.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    This is a fairly regular question here. I think there are definitely a couple of areas where it can be reasonable. For example if you have completed one or more of a series of exams for a certification (eg CCNP, MCSA) then it is relevant and easily demonstrable to say "pursuing" or "currently studying". Similarly for degree programs, if you are 1 year into a 4 year program, then it is kind of relevant. In this case also, "student" is a sort of qualification - some employers will be specifically interested in this kind of candidate.

Where it gets murky is when you can't provide much in the way of direct evidence. This is also due to the kind of resume that a lot of people will have (and many businesses expect) which is all about concrete achievements (these qualifications, these positions, these duties, these projects, these certifications) and less about skills, knowledge, attitudes. If you do have a resume where you have this different focus, then talking about what you are pursuing - in the context of a bigger picture you are painting - can be relevant. This style of resume is more useful when you can't fit things into the standard picture - perhaps you don't have many formal qualifications, or directly relevant experience.

But absolutely in all circumstances I would make sure to mention - at least in the cover letter - and to discuss your attitude to professional development, ongoing learning, and what things you are currently doing to support this. This is very much relevant to your ability to do the job well, which is the real question that the resume/reference/interview system attempts (however poorly) to answer.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only if I've just about passed it and have obtained the majority of the knowledge associated with the cert. I was putting "CCNA Security (In Progress)" after taking a few attempts at the exam that fell short by only a few points. Also, I always put any degree programs as (In Progress) if I'm attending college.

But, I would stray from putting "In Progress" on a cert you've just started or don't actually know much about. It does show that you're continually improving and learning, but hopefully the rest of your resume already does that. Plus, if they ask you questions related to the cert and you don't know any of them they either think you're lying about studying it or you are unskilled. Either way, the risk isn't worth the reward imo.

Edit: Also, I agree with OctalDump's post. If it's a multi-test certification and you've passed one or more of the exams, then I would probably put "In Progress" or something of the sort on your resume.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think there's nothing wrong with saying an objective (degree, certification, etc.) is being pursued. It shows that the person has goals and is not stagnant. And if the objective is beyond what is required for a position being applied for I do consider it a plus. Like if Sec+ is required and the person has it, check. But if Sec+ is required and the person has Sec+ and is pursuing CISSP, that's a check-plus to me.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was pursuing a BSc in IT for 7 years (just finished last month) I did not add it to my CV, however I think it is ok to add a degree to your CV, because you are paying a large some of money and spending time in classes etc.

As for certifications I think it would not be appropriate especially if you do not have a good certification history.

For example if you can show that you finish one or more certificates each year, this shows that you actually working on certificates that you are pursuing.

However if you have no certificates for 5 years and pursing x,y and z certificates this means nothing.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've used pursuing before but you shouldn't have any more than one as it's unrealistic in almost 100% of situations. I don't see using it once you have several certifications but when you are early on it shows the initiative. I wouldn't put something well beyond your level though...for example if you have no certs and put pursuing CISSP...that shows you don't really have a good idea of what you are doing.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd put "Pursing" Scarlett Johannson on my Match.com profile, but everyone knows that until I catch her my goal doesn't mean a thing.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd put "Pursing" Scarlett Johannson on my Match.com profile, but everyone knows that until I catch her my goal doesn't mean a thing.

Someone who gets it...
  • Options
    Would mean something if you were dating her...
  • Options
    Techytach wrote: »
    Would mean something if you were dating her...

Can you be engaged or be involved in a certification you don't have immediately have in your possession? icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't like to see pursuing certifications on resumes. Face it some people say they want to get a certification like the CISSP, but do nothing to make progress toward that goal, not even open a book to read / study it. I might mention it in an interview if asked, but I wouldn't put it down on paper.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    Can you be engaged or be involved in a certification you don't have immediately have in your possession? icon_confused.gif:
    I'm not saying I'd do it, just playing devil's advocate. And yea, you could be enrolled in the OSCP course which is actually part of the certificate qualification.

Another example, netacad college student who had successfully taken CCENT and was enrolled in netacad while completing a CS degree, could say 'Pursuing CCNA' on their resume. (half way there and enrolled in college courses for it, labbing, paid money toward it, going to school for it, etc)

Don't get me wrong. It's rare, but I can see a few instances where it would be legit for some people.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Remedymp wrote: »

They are just Certs with Benefits to me. That's all.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to agree "pursuing xyz certification" should not be on your resume. Life happens and there really is no definitive date involved (typically). As far as education, I simply list the degree and the expected graduation date.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    They are just Certs with Benefits to me. That's all.

Some day you'll find a cert you'll want to keep the rest of your life! A cert that makes you forget all those other certs.
  • Options
    Some certs are just so promiscuous...
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Man you're telling me. First it was A+, then Network+.

I thought I got it right with Security+. She was solid, stable, and came from a good home. Still, I saw some guy with her on his signature line and I had to end it.

After that I fooled around a few "free" certs I found out about on some online cert forum called Techexams. Nothing serious, I think I was just trying to occupy my time.

Eventually I ended up with CEH, and then I found out the kind of people she associates with. What does that say about me? Am I just like them? Now I'm starting to wonder why I keep getting attracted to these kinds of certs.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a candidate recently list his "CISSP - in progress". I asked the recruiter if that meant he tested, passed and just didn't get his endorsement back yet. Nope, he was just planning on taking it some day so it's "in progress". That's an example of how not to do it.
  • Options
    Correct me if I am wrong, I am may very well be. But the intent of the original post was about someone listing out multiple items in progress, 3 - 4 was my understanding.

If that is the case, that is just bad.....
  • Options
    Yup. If it was one cert, I will ask about it during the interview.
    The candidate was pursuing CISSP, OSCP and doing diploma among others.
    Maybe he equates "pursuing" to "on my wish list".

Well I have been "pursuing" Scarlett Johannson since I saw her on "The Island" in 2005. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Call me insecure I'd rather undersell and over deliver. Less targets the better....