is this a good homelab for CCNA studies?

faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
[FONT=&amp]3x cisco 1721 70.92[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]3x cisco 2950c switch 81.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1x cisco 2520 (for frame relay) 22+15 shipping[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]6x WIC-1T Modules 70.50

259.42 total

Is this a good homelab for CCNA studies? And then eventually CCNP, and then eventually CCIE?

Please let me know.

[/FONT]

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For routers I'd look at 1841's or 2811's as they are fairly modern (only 1 generation old), you can use IOS v15.1 and are reasonably priced, go with WIC-2T's instead. I think Frame Relay has been dropped from the CCNA so no need for the 2620 (if needed, most routers can be configured as a FR switch), not sure about other serial protocols though. The 1721's are v.old and you can make a coffee while you wait for them to boot.

For switches (in ascending preferred order) look at 2950G/2960, 3560-TS (IOS v15 capable with 32MB flash) or the 3750.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1721's are adequate for the ccna. There are some got yahs.
    they need the power brick. They need enough memory to run the ios. I'm pretty sure it is 128/32 to run the last version of the adventerprise feature set of the ios. which is 12.4-25 or something. can not run version 15 of the ios.

2520. too old for even a lab. last version of the ios 12.3. and you need 16/16 memory for that. cant do things like ipv6. need the transceiver for networking. only need 3 routers for the ccna. So, with the wics for the 1721's, you don't need this in your lab at all. save the money and don't purchase it. $20 more and you can get an 1841 that can run version 15 of the ios.

2950c's are adequate for the ccna. but not much use beyond that. be sure to get the last ios.

wic-1t you need the dce/dtc cables for these. they are dropping frame relay from the ccna for version 3 of the ccna, which is coming out this fall. So, unless you can finish the cert by the end of sept., they might not be needed. but, they are still on the ccnp, but that might be out too by the time you get to that cert.

this equipment is adequate for the ccna, but isn't all that usable for other certs. none of these can run version 15 of the ios. ccna:s requires at least one router run version 15 of the ios. ccna:v really needs 2 routers that run version 15 of the ios. ccnp needs 4 routers and 4 switches that all run version 15 of the ios.
    and I do have a lab for sale in the for sale section.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/3161-sale-37.html

2 switches, 3 routers all running version 15 comes with all the cables and shipping included for $250.

pm me if you have questions.
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    doh! So i think i got outdated information on the sticky. How do I find out what i need is there a guide or something? I try googling and not much information on how to setup a Modern CCNA homelab that is future proof for CCNP, CCIE, Security and/ Or Voice. Please let me know thanks.

Is this a good buy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CISCO-CCNA-CCNP-V2-0-R-S-VOICE-SECURITY-LAB-KIT-12U-RACK-INCLUDED-/181701655498?hash=item2a4e433bca:g:0oYAAOSwv0tVFXFU&rmvSB=true
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    have a look at Wendel Odom's site CertSkills, LLC > Home for lab ideas, the hardware list is a bit dated so just substitute 1841/2811's for routers and 2960/3560/3750's for switches

one thing to remember with any lab is, is where you'll be in relation to it...trying to study next to a stack of routers/switches can be a challenge...they are noisy...if you can put it in a spare room/garage and access it remotely by a console server, you'll be glad you did (the Digi CM32 is well liked on this site) http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIGI-CM48-48-PORT-RJ-45-Console-Management-Server-CM-48-Discounted-/172120520347?hash=item28132eb69b:g:XdgAAOSwYlJW11zM

hardware wise that lab looks ok for CCNA/CCNP (other than the 2950, but its usable), but you'll add more as time goes by and your interests change...can't speak on price, the US is not my market

well pretty much answered that in your other thread.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-security/121102-do-i-need-laptop-newly-purchase-homelab.html#post1038280
    doh! So i think i got outdated information on the sticky. How do I find out what i need is there a guide or something? I try googling and not much information on how to setup a Modern CCNA homelab that is future proof for CCNP, CCIE, Security and/ Or Voice. Please let me know thanks.

Is this a good buy?

Cisco CCNA CCNP V2 0 R s Voice Security Lab Kit 12U Rack Included | eBay
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□

Is this a good buy?

Cisco CCNA CCNP V2 0 R s Voice Security Lab Kit 12U Rack Included | eBay

Swap the 2950 for a 3560-TS and it does seem to tick the boxes you need it to, I'd be happy with that lab. The 2821 is 2U (twice the size of the 2811) but that makes it more expandable so if you have a big enough rack then great. I have a 12U rack but am already looking for an 18U to fit all my kit and I only have 2811 routers. The only bit I don't get is that they're listed as 256mb ram with 64mb flash which isn't enough to install or run the IOS if it's the version you need, that being AdvEnterprise. See second chart, first entry here, and this is 15.0 (15.1 may well use a Universal IOS which requires licenses for additional features to work, and don't for one second dream you'll find them cheap anywhere, so you might not be getting what you think you are).