Options

Beginner at CCNA - Question on pinging between subnets

redgunnerredgunner Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I just need someone to help me understand what I need to learn next, I will go and get the information myself!! So I appreciate any hints.

I have 1 router, 3 switches and each with their own individual subnet using a standard 255.255.255.0 mask

Which method is the best practice to ping between each of the subnets?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In order to ping across those subnets, your router will need to have routes built for each subnet. You could do this with static routes configured on the router, or by enabling a routing protocol such as OSPF or EIGRP.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    So it best practice to have 1 router with 1 switch (3 times) rather than 1 router with 3 switches?
  • Options
    sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    redgunner wrote: »
    So it best practice to have 1 router with 1 switch (3 times) rather than 1 router with 3 switches?

This is more of a design decision than anything. There would be a small config difference between the router and switch(es), but how many switches you use would mostly depend on how many hosts you need to provide connectivity to on each subnet.
  • Options
    So in a large environment what would allow all 50 subnets be able to communicate between each other?
    If I had 1 router and 50 switches (let's just assume each subnet has 254 hosts and I have 50 subnets)
    Which method is best practice?
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    your going to have to set up interVlan routing. depending on weather you have a layer 3 switch or not, the routing will be done on your router.
    set up vlans on your switches.
    trunk the switches together
    trunk a switch to the router
    set up subinterfaces on the router
    assign the ip address to the sub interfaces
    without going to a lot of details that is pretty much it.

of course, that isn't how you'd design 50 subnets with 250 hosts each to communicate with each other. For starters one router with one or two interfaces isn't capable of routing traffic from 2500 hosts. but, interVan routing will work for the simple network that your using.
  • Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    redgunner wrote: »
    I have 1 router, 3 switches and each with their own individual subnet using a standard 255.255.255.0 mask

Just to be clear, you don't need one switch per VLAN, you can configure any port on any switch to be a member of any VLAN. So, for example, if you have 3x 48-port switches, there's no reason why ports 1 and 2 can't be trunk ports for joining switches together, then have 23 ports each in two different VLANs.

Personally when I set up a similar lab/network, I did everything on a layer3 switch, but if you're talking small-scale like this you can also set up ROAS (router on a stick) using a single router and multiple layer2 switches (or layer3 switches with routing turned off) which is what clarson was referring to.

Once you've got (inter-VLAN) routing set up correctly you'll be able to ping between subnets.
  • Options
    Thank you for your help on this so far on this... I am going to be learning VLANs next with CLI so I am just using physical switches now which I know isn't the practice in industry.

I have watched a few more videos and I have finally found the basic design I wanted!!

Okay so can I check why do we use a serial port and not an ethernet connection? Has it got something to do with the clock rate speed that syncs traffic?

Thank you,
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    Why? Because cisco wants you to learn serial connections.

You will probably not use serial connections in real life. You are correct in that you will mostly use ethernet as far as I know.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well, in the real world serial connections are as out of date as 10 pound cell phones.

But, at one time they were used as a wan technology. So, they used that to represent a router to router connection over a long distance.
    And, as a learning tool, it doesn't really matter if it is a ethernet or a serial connection. So, no one has bothered to update it from whenever.
    And, frame relay isn't even on the next version of the ccna. might never see another serial connection again.
  • Options
    mindcrankmindcrank Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    well, in the real world serial connections are as out of date as 10 pound cell phones.

But, at one time they were used as a wan technology. So, they used that to represent a router to router connection over a long distance.
    And, as a learning tool, it doesn't really matter if it is a ethernet or a serial connection. So, no one has bothered to update it from whenever.
    And, frame relay isn't even on the next version of the ccna. might never see another serial connection again.

For the exam, you have to ignore what is real and just focus on what the exam requires. Working in the industry will hash out the rest for you real fast.
    Certifications: A+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, VCP6-DCV, CISSP, C|EH, CPT, Project+, Linux+, GPEN, OSCP, GXPN, GCIH, CISSP-ISSEP, OSCE
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: Complete! November 2016
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next