Options

ccnt along with Net+?

peek188peek188 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone.

I would go into network engineering as i'm switching my career (back-end web dev turned out to be not what i was expecting:) but that long story). I got some basic understanding of technical side of network.

My question is: Can i learn for those both certs at the same time? What is variance in knowledge and material for them cos i noticed in 2 books (i got tod lammle for n+ i ccent) evertyhing is practicly the same(i mean content). I read in some threads taht if i prepare for CCENT and pass that n+ is formality with knowledge you gained from ccent?

Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    gibbers82gibbers82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Alot is the same, i have recently done both (not at the same time) The N+ is more learning facts and numbers while the ICND1 is more in depth and obviously cisco specific.

I would recommend doing the N+ first, it didn't take me long !
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is lots of overlap between them. Many people will question the need for Net+ if you get you CCNA but if your switching careers I say simply getting started is more important then which you do.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    While I think this is over kill if you decide to do it I would probably go for the CCENT then the Net+. When I took the Net+ about 4 or 5 years ago it was essentially a flash card exam that would be cake following the CCENT.
  • Options
    peek188peek188 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So what you guys would reccomend me do first in my situation (live in Uk but there is no problem to move to another country if we talk about job role demand) go for N+ or ccent and straight after ccna? I planning go for security certs too (got plenty of time for learning and access to servers and it network devices as i still work as a coder for company).
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the N10-006 which came out last year and the ICND1 just a few weeks ago. The Network plus was much harder than the ICND1. Although, I am glad I took the Network+ beforehand because of the overlap, but also because it lets you know HOW things work. Cisco implements it into real life scenarios. So with that being said, when you get to OSPF on cisco, or STP, or anything, you have already seen it before and you just need to implement it, rather than learning what it is from scratch THEN implementing it, which may be harder.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you plan on getting Cisco certs there is reason to waste money on the N+.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.