Options

High performing Architects - Go make a cool $325k per year

sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
This is for the high performers out there...$325k per year....not bad, not bad

Principal Architect 2 ATC-Corporate jobs in Atlanta at AT&T

Comments

• Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    What does that job even mean? It sounds like sales.
  • Options
    sj4088 wrote: »
    This is for the high performers out there...$325k per year....not bad, not bad

Principal Architect 2 ATC-Corporate jobs in Atlanta at AT&T

I would imagine it's similar to your typical architect job. I'm guessing your job would be to help the company customers/clients use, setup or configure the products/services you sold them. Or demonstrate to potential clients how your products could be of use to them from a technical aspect.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Well, that's a huge wall of text. I think maybe they should spend 80k on a full time copywriter.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think the salary is $325k/year. I think that has to do with your sales numbers that they expect you to hit.

"This position serves as a progression path for the highest performing Principal Architects providing a high degree of billing (over $325k annualized) and/or are responsible for influencing a minimum of $5M in new business through their strategic pre-sales support."
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    aderon wrote: »
    I don't think the salary is $325k/year. I think that has to do with your sales numbers that they expect you to hit.

"This position serves as a progression path for the highest performing Principal Architects providing a high degree of billing (over $325k annualized) and/or are responsible for influencing a minimum of $5M in new business through their strategic pre-sales support."

I agree, what I believe it means is you'll only be working on clients that have over 325k in billing a year. Your not making 325k, the company is billing the clients at least 325k a year. In short, you will be working on only high paying accounts.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It's definitely technical pre-sales. I agree with TechGromit that it's probably not a salary of $325K.

That being said, I've seen multiple companies pay much more than $300-400K when bonuses and everything else is factored in for technical pre-sales. If you can speak to people (engineers and C-levels alike), highly technical, keeping up-to-date with current technology and trends, and can design, pre-sales tend to be much more lucrative than a typical enterprise or ops environment. Having someone with those combination of skills is hard to find unfortunately....
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The earning potential on pre-sale side is high compared to post-sale/implementation side. The pay discrepancy is 1 of the major reason talented post-sales move to pre-sale.

This is 1 of the reasons why I'm pursuing a MBA vs. MS in IT/IS.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    aderon wrote: »

Naw. The recruiter has it listed as a 325k per year position. While it's certainly up there it's not a shock. There are high level IT positions out there that pay $300k to $400k(that includes bonues) per year, then on top of that they get equity as well. They are VERY high level architect and developer positions in a specific niche.
  • Options
    It's definitely technical pre-sales. I agree with TechGromit that it's probably not a salary of $325K.

That being said, I've seen multiple companies pay much more than $300-400K when bonuses and everything else is factored in for technical pre-sales. If you can speak to people (engineers and C-levels alike), highly technical, keeping up-to-date with current technology and trends, and can design, pre-sales tend to be much more lucrative than a typical enterprise or ops environment. Having someone with those combination of skills is hard to find unfortunately....

One of the reasons the people who do have them can command over 400k.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A close friend on mine actually has 10 years experience with ATT but moved on for the past 6 years working as a solution architect. I forwarded that job on to him, thanks for posting!

Agree with the skills piece, but I found the technology side isn't the most stressful it's closing deal and getting wins. Like someone mentioned the variable income can really kick up the overall pay. 200k+ is not uncommon for bonuses for Principals.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I often see architects traveling with pre-salesmen solely to provide the technical aspects. The job description sounds a lot like a pre-salesmen.

I know a few people that have positions like this. Learning the technology well enough takes time but the hardest skill to possess or develop for them is being able to tell executives they're wrong in a manner where they'll still likely purchase. It's also the most personal rewarding responsibility.

They all came from project management. Technical architects, unless they're really personable, might find it tough to adapt.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dave330i wrote: »
    The earning potential on pre-sale side is high compared to post-sale/implementation side. The pay discrepancy is 1 of the major reason talented post-sales move to pre-sale.

This is 1 of the reasons why I'm pursuing a MBA vs. MS in IT/IS.

I know quite a few pre sales guys who make in the mid 100,000's with Masters, not MBA's.