Options

Work Issues

fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was working on a ticket and couldn't get into a system, so I asked my coworker for help and he didn't know then I asked my manager. My manager found out by looking at previous issues with this customer that they were experiencing a liscensing issue. So he told me to email them and follow the standard procedure. My coworker says to my manager, should he put your email on it also and send it that way the team will get on it immediately. My manager says no he is attached to the email that gets sent out so he will get it, thats why there are procedures in place. My manager leaves and my coworker says put his email on it that way they'll know about the issue. I say no our manager just told us not to. He says do it anyways. I said no. So, he says ok, do it your way. Since then whenever I go to say hey whatsup to this guy, he just looks at me and doesnt respond. he'll talk to other people but not me. I havent seen this type of behavior since grade school.

Prior to this, when we were on speaking terms he said that if I or anyone were to do anything to him he would get his friend who is a cop and throw me in a tree shredder. The company policy is also to not have knives in the building I've seen him with a 3 inch pocket knife. I've seen him talk sh!t to other coworkers to their face and behind their backs, so I'm sure hes doing the same to me, making me look bad

I dont know what to do? I dont know if I should talk to my manager or not. I dont want to sound like I cant work with other people but I did nothing wrong. Please give me some advice.

Comments

• Options
    fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh yea and he's 35
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to office politics icon_lol.gif

Every job I've ever worked has always had that "one person" who's unhelpful, overly negative, starts drama, talks behind people's backs, etc, etc. I just try not to get on their bad side and will generally ignore their behavior for the most part.

A lot of people will say to confront that person directly and try to resolve it and then go to HR if necessary. Personally, to me, it's not worth all the effort and I'm more than capable of not letting it get to me. I've also found that people that late in life that still act like that aren't going to change because you made one trip to HR or because you confronted them. It's just opening a can of worms imo. ymmv.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't have to be friends with everyone. If they are acting like that I would quit interacting with them. If they needed my help And asked for it, then I would help them. I'm sure some people would not help them, but I really don't hold grudges. However, at the same time I don't put myself in situations that allows people to kick mud in my face or treat me like crap. Just cut as much communication with them as you can. If they threaten you again, I would send an email to them with HR cc'd saying that I did not appreciate their gerbal threat against me and would actively try to document any threatening behavior towards me. Eventually this person will probably do enough things to get themselves fired.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Sounds like a d bag I wouldn't want to talk with him either. A sure fire way to get your arse fired or written up is not listening to a direct order from your manager.

Do yourself and your career a favor, listen to your boss and don't care what coworkers think. Unless they are friends and you see them outside of work I could care less what they think or say.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd act like he's not even there but who threatens to woodchipper someone? Must be a Fargo fan, I'd bust out laughing. If he threatens your life again or really impairs the workplace I'd report to the manager.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    35 going on 13 it seems. Sounds like he has the symptoms of Little Dick Syndrome, an insatiable need to feel like he has a measure control over something...anything. I'm sure he'd love to tell a threatening story one day about how he got a guy fired for sending an email improperly.

I personally wouldn't go to the manager over that, but I'm not easily offended. I'd say just return the favor. If he doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with you, don't offer him the time of day. He's shown his colors with how he treats his co-workers, and is probably trash talking you also anyway for not heeding his infinite wisdom regarding emails, so if he comes around acting all buddy-buddy one day, assume he has an ulterior motive. I'm sure others have taken notice of his behavior.

You don't have to be friends, just have to do your job.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The question I have is: How did this person get a job with a personality like that?
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Write down what he said and report it to HR. That is a direct threat (tree shredder? who says that?) and he should be terminated, zero tolerance. What an idiot.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    danny069 wrote: »
    Write down what he said and report it to HR. That is a direct threat (tree shredder? who says that?) and he should be terminated, zero tolerance. What an idiot.

Without substance this is hearsay - you need either a witness or recording to get taken seriously by HR otherwise you are going to be looked on as a time wasting cry baby. HR cannot act on a "he-said bad things to me" complaint but if there is a way to prove this then they have grounds to act and are unlikely to just let it slide as they will look bad if they didn't do something and you did end up as lawn fertiliser...

As soon as you have proof or another member of staff with the same issue, speak to your manager before escalating as they too have a duty of care and are better placed to do something about it. If they are rubbish or don't want to get involved they you have used the appropriate chain of command and can then escalate.

If you have proof of threats of injury or death then it can easily become a police matter too, so don't mess about - set your mobile phone to record before starting any conversation with them and keep it out of sight.

It's important in my eyes that this sort of behavior is stamped out and any staff with such attitudes are given the harshest treatment available within the rules so my staff can come to work and not worry about intimidation or threats.

Good luck
    Iain
  • Options
    If you have proof of threats of injury or death then it can easily become a police matter too, so don't mess about - set your mobile phone to record before starting any conversation with them and keep it out of sight.

You may need someones permission to record them. And recording in the workplace can go against what-ever code of conduct in the workplace that may have been signed.
  • Options
    jerseytechjerseytech Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To be honest, I'd just laugh at him man. If he doesn't want to talk to you oh well. It seems to me like he isn't good company to have around anyways.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A threat is a threat regardless of whether it is recorded, written or by voice, and should be taken seriously by HR and investigation no matter what.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Step 1: Eat Beans
    Step 2: Crop dust his desk area a few times a day
    Step 3: ?????
    Step 4: Profit.
  • Options
    danny069 wrote: »
    A threat is a threat regardless of whether it is recorded, written or by voice, and should be taken seriously by HR and investigation no matter what.

It matters because if said person lawyers up, then it may not go as well for the victim as some may think. I can tell you that from first hand experience.