Options

Expected Salary / DFW area

atl_libraatl_libra Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

At my current company it has been proposed for me to have a title change. I am currently a system administrator, but will become a Virtualization Engineer. This is a new position in the company. I won't pick up any new responsibilities. I will pretty much be doing the same thing I was before, they will just be dedicated duties (on paper) from now on. I was in a group of 4 admins and because I was the only one with those skills, it kind of fell on me. With this new title, I am now wondering what kind of raise I should ask for. I recently took a step back and realized a lot of stuff has been put on my plate. I am making 75k now. What type of salary should I be pulling, for the below duties?

-Administer VMware Environment, and also Cisco UCS blades
-Administer our SAN's. VNXe, VNX5400, and Xtremio
-Administer our backups. Avamar grid with Data Domain
-Administer our Datacenter network. Two Nexus 9k's and two Nexus 3k's
-Administer our DR Site with Recoverpoint for VM's

I have my VCP5 and plan to upgrade it to 6 soon. I will probably also grab my VCAP. They are planning to get NSX, and either roll out a view environment on our hardware or Vcloud air. So I will probably try and atleast get a VCP6-NV and VCP6-DTM. In case this negotiation doesn't go right, I will try and get my CCNA-Datacenter to validate that knowledge to other potential employers. So in short....what should I be shooting for?

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Sounds similar to what I do minus the nexus piece (I do the 5k and 9k as well as 4500's).

With that said and what you do I think 80 to 90 is reasonable, depends on the industry and experience. If you plan on doing the vcap soon I'd wait to get that then ask for 85 or 87.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, 85k to 90k sounds reasonable to me.
  • Options
    atl_libraatl_libra Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your replies. Not sure why I thought I would be able to pull more than that.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    It depends, you might be able to. That's just an estimate - definitely more than you are making.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't expect much more than a 4 or 5 percent raise unless your company pays very competitively. Why? Because this is more of a lateral movement (change in title not a true promotion with new responsibilities.)

Look for compensation tables for your local area (PayScale, etc) and see if you can't eeek out some comparable information there. If your really stuck you could ask your comp person there at your company for some very general advice as to how the company approaches such movements in the past. Be brief and humble and you'll probably get more of an answer than you might expect. This person more than anyone else will likely determine any raise, if there is or not.

I could go into the arch type of a career "comp person" but it would involve several cats and a big bowl of M&Ms. Lets not go there, shall we?

- b/eads