Trouble Setting Up Telnet on 2950C (Can't ping the IP address!)

Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
Hey everyone,

I am trying to setup an IP address on the Vlan 1 interface on my 2950c switch so I can telnet into it remotely but I am having troubles doing so.

I've followed the following steps:

switch#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
switch(config)#line vty 0 4
switch(config-line)#password 123
switch(config-line)#login
switch(config-line)#inter
switch(config-line)#interface Vlan1
switch(config-if)#ip address 192.168.0.234 255.255.255.0
switch(config-if)#exit
switch(config)#ip defaul
switch(config)#ip default-gateway 192.168.0.1
switch(config)#end
switch#
01:03:08: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
switch#
switch#copy run start
Destination filename [startup-config]?
Building configuration...
[OK]
switch#exit

I then tried to ping it and got this:

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.0.234, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

Type escape sequence to abort.

I got my 2950c connected to my laptop via serial to USB and using Putty. Can someone please help me out? I've looked around and I still can't find out what I'm doing wrong. My default gateway on my laptop is also set to 192.168.0.1, so I don't see why it's not pinging the IP address that I just set to Vlan 1 interface.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So your laptop is connected via console? If so it needs to be connected via ethernet to ping it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    So your laptop is connected via console? If so it needs to be connected via ethernet to ping it.

I'm not sure what you mean my laptop is connected via console. I am using a console cable and connected it to my laptop through a serial to USB adapter.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You can't ping the switch via a serial console. You need to connect your ethernet nic into one of the ethernet ports. Ethernet and serial are two different protocols.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    You can't ping the switch via a serial console. You need to connect your ethernet nic into one of the ethernet ports. Ethernet and serial are two different protocols.

You're right. So do I need to connect one end into one of the FaEthernet ports of the switch and the other into my home router? My laptop wireless NIC isn't the greatest at picking up a signal so I have it connected directly to my home router.

Thanks again for your reply.
    I got it! My stupidity, I thought I would be able to pick up the IP address connecting it directly only through serial.

Thanks for the quick help dude. It's much appreciated!!!! :)