Options

Networking for Information Security/Penetration Testing

13»

Comments

• Options
    LonVenuLonVenu Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I will try my best. I hope I achieve what I am dreaming of.

I seem to be more interested in an offensive security job, more than a defensive security one, so I thought maybe I can work in the companies that offer penetration testing services, the ones that scan the whole network/website/... of an organisation for example, and try to find every vulnerability, and exploit it, then hardening it (fixing it). Is it possible to do that with no to little job experience ? [If I had the CCNA R&S, CEH and OSCP, participated in lots of CTFs, and self studied lots of penetration testing areas, including networks, web app., mobile, cloud, exploit development, BoF...]
  • Options
    I graduated with honors and haven't had it on my resume since I got my first IT job. Experience trumps all.
    Was it hard to achieve the honor ? Did it take a lot more hours of studying to achieve it ?
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LonVenu wrote: »
    Was it hard to achieve the honor ? Did it take a lot more hours of studying to achieve it ?

For me? No. It wasn't that hard because I love the field I studied and have a passion for it. I don't think I spent any more than maybe 2-3 hours of studying in any given day (Most days were less, few were more if there was a final). I needed to have that life/school balance for my own sanity. Honors wasn't a goal of mine, it just happened. When you love and have a passion for a subject you can retain that information much easier. Studying for any more than what I did would have burned me out. I was taking 20-25 credit hours per semester and it was a very heavy load and not easy.

Be be a successful pentester you need to understand many layers of IT and the network/systems. That takes experience.
  • Options
    wrfortiscuewrfortiscue Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I will try my best. I hope I achieve what I am dreaming of.

I seem to be more interested in an offensive security job, more than a defensive security one, so I thought maybe I can work in the companies that offer penetration testing services, the ones that scan the whole network/website/... of an organisation for example, and try to find every vulnerability, and exploit it, then hardening it (fixing it). Is it possible to do that with no to little job experience ? [If I had the CCNA R&S, CEH and OSCP, participated in lots of CTFs, and self studied lots of penetration testing areas, including networks, web app., mobile, cloud, exploit development, BoF...]

Same answer as before. It's possible, but highly unlikely. Like others said, many fighting for similar jobs but have actual experience.
  • Options
    For me? No. It wasn't that hard because I love the field I studied and have a passion for it. I don't think I spent any more than maybe 2-3 hours of studying in any given day (Most days were less, few were more if there was a final). I needed to have that life/school balance for my own sanity. Honors wasn't a goal of mine, it just happened. When you love and have a passion for a subject you can retain that information much easier. Studying for any more than what I did would have burned me out. I was taking 20-25 credit hours per semester and it was a very heavy load and not easy.

Be be a successful pentester you need to understand many layers of IT and the network/systems. That takes experience.

Thanks. I appreciate your passion. Was it a Computer Science Bachelor program ?

2-3 hours of studying doesn't indicate very heavy load, does it ?! (What I mean by studying, is a revision of what you take in every single university day). Like, in my final school year, I was studying 6-8 hours a day (I didn't like any subject though, I hated everything), and people here say that last school year is just a breeze of what university load is! so I expect much more studying hours on only the university material, beside my self-study on certifications and my interests. (Correct me if I am mistaken please).

In how many hours you finished that program ? the maximum hours in mu university is 18 hours, I will try to get 21 hours though, and if I studied in the summer too, for 3 years, I will finish. (Originally this program needs 4 years to finish, but I will take 9 hours probably in the summer periods, so I hope I can finish within 3 years).
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks. I appreciate your passion. Was it a Computer Science Bachelor program ?

2-3 hours of studying doesn't indicate very heavy load, does it ?! (What I mean by studying, is a revision of what you take in every single university day). Like, in my final school year, I was studying 6-8 hours a day (I didn't like any subject though, I hated everything), and people here say that last school year is just a breeze of what university load is! so I expect much more studying hours on only the university material, beside my self-study on certifications and my interests. (Correct me if I am mistaken please).

In how many hours you finished that program ? the maximum hours in mu university is 18 hours, I will try to get 21 hours though, and if I studied in the summer too, for 3 years, I will finish. (Originally this program needs 4 years to finish, but I will take 9 hours probably in the summer periods, so I hope I can finish within 3 years).

I have a CIS degree, so not a CS one. I did do programming, but it wasn't my favorite and was my hardest subjects (oracle PLSQL was the worst for me) but I still managed to get ok grades in those courses. Studying time is outside of class time. I tried to take overlapping courses as often as possible too so I could combine my studying in related areas. I could never see 6-8 hours a day of studying. That would suck the life out of me. Your school may be different than others though.

My degree required I think 140ish credit hours to graduate and I did it in just under 3 years. I wouldn't recommend taking as heavy a course load like I did if you need that many hours to absorb and learn the subjects. You're young (I assume) don't rush life. Enjoy it.
  • Options
    I have a CIS degree, so not a CS one. I did do programming, but it wasn't my favorite and was my hardest subjects (oracle PLSQL was the worst for me) but I still managed to get ok grades in those courses. Studying time is outside of class time. I tried to take overlapping courses as often as possible too so I could combine my studying in related areas. I could never see 6-8 hours a day of studying. That would suck the life out of me. Your school may be different than others though.

My degree required I think 140ish credit hours to graduate and I did it in just under 3 years. I wouldn't recommend taking as heavy a course load like I did if you need that many hours to absorb and learn the subjects. You're young (I assume) don't rush life. Enjoy it.
    My program is 182-131 credit hours, 95% of the first year is about: physics, math, and biology!!! I hate that! I really want to finish it within 2.5-3 years. I hope 2-3 studying hours daily will be enough for the university subjects, i want to focus more on self studying. Most of the program is programming, i think C, OOP language, hmm i will PM you with the program link for details. I don't like programming that much unfortunately icon_sad.gif I am worried about that too :/

How can I not rush life when i know that I am late, and that I wasted lots of years!!
  • Options
    So now I am probably gonna study for ccent+ccna now (i will do my best to finish them in 1 week), and I will get the certs in the 3rd uni. year. but would a microsoft and linux certs help in getting a security job ? I will study them anyway, just for my knowledge base, but idk about the certs

Thanks everyone. You helped me with tons of advice. I appreciate this forum and its people, so much.
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Reading this drivel about being nervous has a negative effect on my stomach pH level. Perhaps it's for the best you switched to IT... don't need nervous doctors. Thank you for saving many lives.
  • Options
    Kreken wrote: »
    Reading this drivel about being nervous has a negative effect on my stomach pH level. Perhaps it's for the best you switched to IT... don't need nervous doctors. Thank you for saving many lives.
    I wouldn't be nervous if I study medicine. Medicine is straight forward, all what you need to do is doing good in the university material. Nothing to be nervous about there.
  • Options
    128-131 hours***