Options

Recruiter possibly being shady

AB.CalculusAB.Calculus Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
This is possible a rant but need feedback...

Today I spoke with my recruiter, who assisted me on working at a well-known University a year ago, that ended Nov. of 2015. Since then, I haven't found anything but one-day projects as they come.

Back in February I found a Desktop Support role. As soon as I began, the same recruiter called me for another contract role, which I decline and explained why (due to accepting the previous one). That role that I accpeted in Feb was suppose to be 6 months but I was let go less than a week. The recruiter for that job informed me not to come back but didn't state why. I'm at fault due arrving late 2-3 times becasue of the duration of traveling time.

A month ago, I called the same recruiter and told her I am on the market. Mistake I made was I told her that I was let go from that job in February but didn't mentioned why. Since then, I called and left a message. Instead of calling back, she emailed me saying she "got my message and nothing new on her end that would fit my background. How is your search going?" I felt that she didn't want to speak to me and asked me if my job search is going so she don't have to work with me, if that make sense.

Today I called her after finding a position for the same university on her company website and university's job section. Both stated: Bachelor or work exp equivalent and 1 - 2 years desktop support experience. But was told it requires a Bachelor deg and 8 years experience, which "weeds" me out. I explained to her what was posted but she tells me that the Bachelor and 8 yrs exp requirement is "abbreviated". Then proceed to wish me "good luck on my job search", which again I get the feeling that she doesn't want to work with me anymore. Feel shadiness coming from her...

What are your take on this?

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Find another recruiter. Also, on the job in Feb, being late once when you first start, OK, it happens, 3x in the first week? Also, you already worked for the university before (assuming the contract was done and you didn't leave on bad terms) why not just apply to the university directly?
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Given your location, it shouldn't be difficult to find gainful employment. Showing up on time after that is on you. First, update your resume and post it on Indeed or go the multiple route posting on Dice, Monster, Careerbuilder, etc. Indeed will hit over 40 sites so stick with that. Recruiters will pour out of the woodwork once you do this as there is nothing a recruiter loves more than a fresh resume. Update your LinkedIn profile as well. (*Wink*)

As far as your "shady recruiter" type goes, you've already answered your own question. Recruiters I have had a good to great working relationship with I will fight to keep if need be. Most others I tend to drop and for good reason.

If you haven't update your resume, add even a minor new skill so its different from the last copy and you'll be fine. Don't forget to empty your voice mail daily and all that. I am notoriously known for having a full voice mail. Usually the same people calling 5 times a day begging me to take a contract in some remote area of Alberta or some otherwise rather obscure place.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

- b/eads
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are your take on this?
    I felt that she didn't want to speak to me ... so she don't have to work with me
    I get the feeling that she doesn't want to work with me anymore.

Why are you so insistent on working with this ONE recruiter when obviously the relationship isn't working for you? MOVE ON!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I'd go with another recruiter or apply for jobs on my own.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nothing shady there. You've just been fired from her is all. She's just trying to be polite to you. Move on and find either a new recruiter or apply directly for positions.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    +1 MeanDrunkR2D2
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Recruiters don't work for you, they work for the people who hire them to find employees. Since there are plenty of solid, reliable entry level employees looking for work, why should they waste time working with someone who will probably get fired and sour the recruiters relationship with an employer?

Late "2-3" times in your first week? You weren't even trying.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Put resumes on Monster, Indeed, career builder and your phone will be ringing off the hook from indian recruiters calling from NJ,NY,VA and other various places.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Relationships 101. The recruiter is saying "It's not you, it's me". Except that it's really you.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm at fault due arrving late 2-3 times becasue of the duration of traveling time.

Let''s look at this from the recruiter's point of view. You were late more often than not, and only lasted a week. She put the time and effort into getting you placed, and after that, she probably didn't get anything for the trouble. If you were her, would you work with you again?
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    Recruiters lie to me, so I lie to them. Recruiters get the job information wrong half the time when explaining a position to me. Recruiters don't have my best interests in mind when calling me for a job, they only want their commission. So screw recruiters. They are a tool to be used.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plenty of recruiters to choose from, enough said.
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm very surprised she is bothering to respond. Sounds like she still likes you. I have recruiters who don't respond ever, but I do know that they are keeping me "in mind" for what ever that is worth due to talking with them every few months.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree ditch the recruiter.