Options

I passed sec+ today!!!! 822/900

morkethmorketh Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
I PASSSEDDDDDD!!!!! 822/900

Well I have studied for about 3 months REALLY hardcore. I study every day from 5pm-7pm on weekdays and then on weekends for about 10 hours a day starting out.
For the last month though I had studied from 5pm-12am on weekdays and then all day and night on weekends with a few breaks.

I used the below to study:

David L. Prowse book along with his 867 practice questions and simulation questions.
CertMaster questions
ProfessorMesser videos and study sessions
Googling random videos
A few random practice tests

I feel like the test was EXTREMELY HARD!!! I actually ran out of time right on the last question and the last 10 questions i skimmed over and just chose really fast what I thought the answer was without thinking.
I had taken countless 100 questions practice exams in 40-50 minutes so I was not worried about time at all on the exam but I was WRONG!!!
I had 72 questions and I barely was able to select the answer on my last question.
I felt as if I had barely studied the entire time and I thought I had failed the entire time I was taking it I was so sad I felt like I was going to cry lol.

But I passed!!! So that is awesome!!!
I am quite upset with how the questions are so tricky though. No amount of practice questions could prepare me for that or reading books. I had planned to just retake the test the next day if I failed mid-test because I knew studying more would not help me answer those questions better.
I will not say anything else about the test though so I don't break the NDA.

Comments

• Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats will need to put in the same type of hours when I start studying for that again.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    ns_frankns_frank Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats....I'm actually getting my book this weekend so I'll start studying as well. I hope I pass the first time..This will be my first cert ever!!!!
  • Options
    morkethmorketh Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ns_frank wrote: »
    Congrats....I'm actually getting my book this weekend so I'll start studying as well. I hope I pass the first time..This will be my first cert ever!!!!

It is my first cert as well! I plan on going for MCSA next!
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Great first certification to have. Good luck on your MCSA.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    Attempted MustacheAttempted Mustache Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good job, the CompTIA certs have definitely gotten harder with all the simulation questions they have now. I redid my Security+ last November and it was kind of surprising compared to the previous version.
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    congratulations
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    computerblue14computerblue14 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I passed today. 774/750. I think this exam cannot be underestimated. I only have a 1 year background in network security from the military (2012) so a few things instantly clicked but most of the material was relatively new. I also have a MBA in Computer Information Systems which only really helped for asymmetric encryption and Linux.

I got offered a job and had to take SEC+ without much prep time. I studied for 7 days (12 hours a day) and this is what I did:

1. Professor Messer's videos (I even bought the $10 notes. Don't just study this... there are things he doesn't cover but it is a great start)
    2. CompTIA Security+ Study Guide SY0-401 (not incredibly helpful besides to look things up. Some things on the test weren't in here)
    Get Certified and Get Ahead! - Get Certified Get Ahead study guide (great practice questions but still the test was not very similar. I think the book would have been better)
    3. Online practice tests (still not perfect but I good jumping off point)
    4. Quizlet flash cards I made (for everything I didn't know 100%. I would delete a card when I finally knew the acronym and it's relationship to security)
    5. I lurked on this forum

My test was 72 questions with 5-6 performance based questions. Some were very easy, some were very hard with totally unfamiliar material.

I start work tomorrow with my new job.