Options

Ubiquiti Networks Lite AP? Reviews / Thoughts?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PR20GY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=O1KQP3EFKQHF&coliid=I1ANARG8X3BBK6&psc=1

^^ So I am seriously considering getting the above AP. The reviews are good a I have a work colleague that swears by their stuff. So with that said has anybody used Ubiquiti stuff, specifically this AP and what is your experience / how do you like the equipment so far?

I am looking to get one of these to improve wireless performance for my home network. I have ATT Uverse so their provided AP is less than desirable and doesn't quite cut it at times. Basically I am looking for something with a bit more juice to cover the dead spots I have in the house right now. I also like the idea I will have some more control elements over the wireless network which my current AP has nothing to offer.

Also, later on I will go as far as mounting the AP in a more central location of my house (When it is cooler. I don't feel like working up in my attic in the Texas summer, unless 100% necessary). So, for now I am looking to just set it up on my desk in my office at home.
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We sell these to our customers and in work, and to be frank, I absolutely love them! The cost of them in comparison to performance is quite incredible. The enterprise software you can use to centrally manage the AP(s) is dead easy to use, detailed and just to the point. Once I get a chance I am going to get myself a couple for where I live at the moment.
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We sell these to our customers and in work, and to be frank, I absolutely love them! The cost of them in comparison to performance is quite incredible. The enterprise software you can use to centrally manage the AP(s) is dead easy to use, detailed and just to the point. Once I get a chance I am going to get myself a couple for where I live at the moment.

Great to hear!

I definitely want to test it out at home to potentially resolve some of my issues. I also have a couple family friends that have similar issues they have turned to me for assistance with. I wanted to test it myself before I sell them on a solution. I think I just might buy this tonight! :)
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Ubiquiti products are very popular on /r/homenetworking. You can see many success stories over there. I have them in my shopping list for my late 2016 home network redo project.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    UB products are the real deal, super easy to use and provide great coverage. I have setup most of their AP's and a handful of P2P links, all of them worked better than expected (and advertised).
  • Options
    BioHuntaBioHunta Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll echo the success stories.

We've used them at a number of customer deployments. From small, 3-5 units deployments, and then scaling up to 500+. We've generally had a pretty positive experience. Very low failure rate, good coverage (tuneable power), lots of features for a low-cost alternative to Aruba/Cisco, very scalable, and generally pretty easy to work with. The community is active as well, so you can pretty easily find someone else who has done what you're looking to do.

Some things to be made aware of (although in a house environment, these maybe aren't as much of a concern):

- There is no official support. Support is currently done through their forums, although they are looking at implementing a Chat feature in their controller. Forum response time is sketchy at best.
    - Most of the bells/whistles are there, but Ubiquiti may lack some of the features that their higher-priced competitors offer.
    - Product is still generally referred to as being in "beta" stage. They are constantly rolling out new software, and occasionally a new software load could break previously working features or functionality.

Overall though, price per performance is stellar. Anyone with a bit of Networking know-how will be able to leverage the product and get a good experience.