Passed CASP - 25.7.2016.

JC DentonJC Denton Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have successfully passed CASP and I would like to share some thoughts and advice regarding the exam. :)

First of all, I would like to thank all the people that posted their experiences and provided tips for the exam. It helped me a lot with the study and preparation process.

Now, regarding the exam itself,

My subjective feeling is that exam was pretty tough overall. There were some easy questions, but vast majority required you to read carefully through the scenario and figure out the best possible answer - for example, the right answer is not always the one offering the most secure option, but the most secure in the context of the scenario so special attention to details is required.

Simulations (or "Performance-Based Questions" as CompTIA calls them) were a mixed bag. Some of them were pretty basic (put the right thing in the right place), while others were fairly complex, requiring you to check the router/IDS logs, decide which appliance is the most appropriate for the situation at hand, recognize the attack and do things accordingly, etc.

Preparation:

I read Pearson book (Abernathy & McMillan) twice, first time reading carefully and doing end chapter quizzes, and second time just going through the chapters, filling the gaps and holes. In my spare time, I watched Udemy videos just to solidify the knowledge.

Regarding practice exams, I used the materials on the CD that came along with the book. Also used Sybex materials, especially labs at the end of the book, along with practice questions.

Worth mentioning is, of course, the fact that I was 100% prepared and ready to take SSCP, but gave up at the last moment as I figured that CASP is a better option for me. Although SSCP materials helped with some things, CASP is way more comprehensive and requires wider and deeper knowledge of the subject.

That's it. Now I can relax for a while. :)

Cheers

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Certainly the toughest exam I've took thus far.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JC Denton wrote: »
    Hello,

I have successfully passed CASP and I would like to share some thoughts and advice regarding the exam. :)

First of all, I would like to thank all the people that posted their experiences and provided tips for the exam. It helped me a lot with the study and preparation process.

Now, regarding the exam itself,

My subjective feeling is that exam was pretty tough overall. There were some easy questions, but vast majority required you to read carefully through the scenario and figure out the best possible answer - for example, the right answer is not always the one offering the most secure option, but the most secure in the context of the scenario so special attention to details is required.

Simulations (or "Performance-Based Questions" as CompTIA calls them) were a mixed bag. Some of them were pretty basic (put the right thing in the right place), while others were fairly complex, requiring you to check the router/IDS logs, decide which appliance is the most appropriate for the situation at hand, recognize the attack and do things accordingly, etc.

Preparation:

I read Pearson book (Abernathy & McMillan) twice, first time reading carefully and doing end chapter quizzes, and second time just going through the chapters, filling the gaps and holes. In my spare time, I watched Udemy videos just to solidify the knowledge.

Regarding practice exams, I used the materials on the CD that came along with the book. Also used Sybex materials, especially labs at the end of the book, along with practice questions.

Worth mentioning is, of course, the fact that I was 100% prepared and ready to take SSCP, but gave up at the last moment as I figured that CASP is a better option for me. Although SSCP materials helped with some things, CASP is way more comprehensive and requires wider and deeper knowledge of the subject.

That's it. Now I can relax for a while. :)

Cheers

Big congrats man! That test is a doozy. Celebrate your victory. After that, what cert is next?
  • JC DentonJC Denton Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, guys! :)

@Ertaz: I was thinking about going for CEH, but that's not definite yet. There are several areas in which I would like to improve and get a credential for that (cert), but I'm still thinking how to spend time and money wisely.
  • trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    @JC Denton.....Passed CASP via bootcamp on July 22nd. C|EH v8 was easier than CASP. If I had it to do over again, I'd rather have GCIH. EC Council seems a little goofy to me. I'll have to sit CHFI for a WGU masters program and I am not happy about giving $600 more dollars to EC Council.
  • techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I am currently studying for this cert. Not sure when I will be sitting it, however will need to sit for it before my A+, Net+, Sec+ expire in about 90+ days. icon_sad.gif
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @JC Denton.....Passed CASP via bootcamp on July 22nd. C|EH v8 was easier than CASP. If I had it to do over again, I'd rather have GCIH. EC Council seems a little goofy to me. I'll have to sit CHFI for a WGU masters program and I am not happy about giving $600 more dollars to EC Council.

GIAC is where it's at, but at 6K a pop it becomes hard to knock a bunch out in a year.