Options

MCSA or CCNA after Security+

JTNJTN Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone

I just passed Network+ over the weekend and I'm currently studying for the Security+. So far so good. Feel like I am really grabbing the concepts so far. Once I obtain my Security+ I was planning to study for the MCSA Win 2012. But now I'm thinking studying for the CCNA. Which should I study for after?

Also any tips/ suggestions for the Security+

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There really is no right or wrong answer as to what you should study after Security+ between the MCSA Server 2012 and the CCNA because they are two completely different sub-fields of IT. If you're more interested in building and working on the network infrastructure such as router, switches, cabling, etc then go for the CCNA. If you're more interested in doing System Admin type work on servers then go for the MCSA. Do what interests you the most between those two. I will say that the CCNA will have SOME overlap with Network+ so if what you learned with Network+ is still fresh in your mind and you're more interested in networking you may be ahead to go after the CCNA while you still have a lot of the networking skills fresh.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    I'm currently more interested in doing the network/security side of IT but I feel like having the MCSA looks better on a resume. I'm planning to move in in the near future and want to get as many certs as possible before then. I haven't had relevant IT work for a while, but I do have a BS. When I move I would like to get a sys or network admin position. Once I get that I'll focus on getting my SSCP, GSEC, and CISSP and have my employer help pay for them.
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally don't think having an MCSA over a CCNA or vice versa looks better or worse on a resume. They're completely different fields of IT so you're only going to get hired for that specific job role with that certification. For example, having an MCSA on your resume isn't going to help you out when applying for a job as a network admin or engineer, just as a CCNA isn't going to help you out when applying for a system admin job. If you're more interested in networking and are going to be pursuing other security related exams I'd go for the CCNA over the MCSA because although the MCSA does require some networking knowledge and touches on security some, it's nowhere near as in-depth as you'll get with CCNA.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. Think I will go ahead and go for me CCNA next.
  • Options
    alfred06alfred06 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is a good field. Like what Anderson was saying they are different. If you are looking to work on servers then do MCSA if network do CCNA. good luck to your studies.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I think that if you don't have much experience using the technologies, the Cisco exams are easier to study for. The Cisco resources tend to align much better with the exams. The Microsoft exams include things that you are unlikely to know unless you have been working with Windows Server in an enterprise environment for some time.

Both are good choices, but I think the CCNA might (strangely for a vendor cert) be more broadly useful, particularly if you have an interest in info sec. Networking is everywhere in computing, whereas Windows Server is just nearly everywhere in business ;)
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    MHTECHMHTECH Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want to go into the security side of things then having both will be the best option in the long run.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm planning on taking both but i think I'll go for the CCNA first. I was just torn between working on the CCNA first or MCSA before I potential move at the end of the year.
  • Options
    Vontech615Vontech615 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't have an MCSA so I can't speak on that, but I do have a CCNA Route and Switch and if you study properly for this exam (hands on) you will get a ton of fundamental networking knowledge\skills. I took the CCNAv2 and it's a bit harder than the old version and they've added some advanced topics. If you're getting into network security I don't think there is a more valuable first certification because you'll understand the building blocks of how networks work. If Microsoft is your interest, I still think a CCNA would be valuable as it would help you converse intelligently with the Network Engineers, but probably an MCSA is better time spent.