Options

Facilitating FOR 758 Cyber Threat Intel

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I am happy to report that I got accepted to facilitate FOR 578 Cyber Threat Intelligence in Chicago. This is my 5th year in a row doing Work Study. I submitted 4 or 5 applications this year, got one denial a few months ago so I still have a chance of do another one later this year. This worked out perfect as I will not have to travel and we will be kicking off an intel program later this year. I was surprised to see that this class has two instructors, not sure if that isd because they have a lot of people who registered. We'll see. I heard GIAC is working on a cert for this class so that's also good news. Of course a full review will be posted here a week after course completion

If someone is attending SANS Chicago coming up in 4 weeks feel free to stop by and say hi.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Can't wait to hear about the course!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nice, congrats! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats! I'm wondering what is going on with SANS' Work Study team lately. Still no notification for the Virginia Beach event in 2 weeks. I've had a high level Director there contact them multiple times with no response. Not sure what the deal is.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    I just realized I scrwed up the class number in the title.

Anyway, Work Study is definitely flaky as of lately. SANS just called to inform me that I never replied to their invitation and that they gave the class to someone else. It was hard to contain my fury when I know I emailed them 3 times regarding not hearing anything after submitting my acceptance. I asked about getting the class at other upcoming events at Vegas and Baltimore but they were assigned already. Best they could do was offer SEC550 Active Defense, Offensive Countermeasures and Cyber Deception, which I'm not sure I want.

While I cool off, has anyone taken SEC550? I see that Docrice took it a while ago when the class was just one day but it seems like it has evolved a lot.
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's frustrating! They did the something similar to me for San Antonio 2016. Called me a week before the conference only to tell me on the following Monday that the class was assigned to someone else. I got the GCIH for Dallas but still looking to come back around for GCIA. Have not taken 550 but what other classes are you interested in? I would do more research and call them back. Put the work study application in for locations you're interested now. Then when you call them up you are in the system and can request that class. I know its not much for $1100 (plus other costs) but do a class you're interested in and what is going to help your career. Don't spend that cash for a class you aren't going to like.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    This is not good! I have had my bad experience with the last SANS work study I did. Got my On Demand subscription revoked because I did not wear a black formal pant and office shoes.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Yea SANS is definitely having some trouble, and their treatment of facilitators has apparently slipped as well. A buddy of mine just got screwed out of his exam attempt that was supposed to be included. He stayed at the conference hotel and had scheduled his exam. Well he went to reschedule and then the attempt was gone. He contacted the Work Study head (S.A.) and was told that he didn't stay at the hotel, when he actually sent over his reservation before the event. So he responded with his reservation and original email to her and didn't receive any response. He contacted the Work Study email and they responded after his 4 month date and told him it was now too late and it was too bad. I mean, wow.

I just got 14 day notice before the Virginia event but had to turn it down.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow. I had the opposite experience in March when I facilitated FOR408. I was told that I would not receive the hardware for the course unless I paid an additional $350 and that I would not be able to take the exam unless I stayed at the hotel. I ended up receiving both an no additional cost.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From a legal perspective there has been a lot of movement on "Active Defense" so it might prove to be a good course to have under ones belt.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Yea SANS is definitely having some trouble, and their treatment of facilitators has apparently slipped as well.

I'll say I had a good time and experience doing a work study last month. But I've sent them a few emails in the last few months and seems I usually end up having to re-send them to get a response... Not sure what the deal is there.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Haven't done SANS Chicago since the first time they decided on Palmer House instead of out in Skokie at the Doubletree. My office at the time was just down the road on Randolph though convenient I still preferred the suburban location. Lunch had so much more variety than that part of downtown but people want to see downtown I guess.

The course though looks awesome.

- b/eads
  • Options
    I caved in and accepted SEC550. It was either that or lose the training dollars. I'm not overly enthused but it is what it is. SANS is like pizza. Even if it's not your first choice, it's still good. Plus it gets me away from the office which is always a plus.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ROTFLMAO. Fair enough and I concur.

Since I am working in burbs its even harder to justify the two hour commute. I do self study now.

- b/eads
  • Options
    I hear you. For me it's easier to hop on the train and get downtown. Every time I go to EnCase training in Rosemont I cry a little because I hate the long drive in rush hour traffic. I'm not going to miss that training passport when it expires.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I never get picked to facilitate work-study programs....but yesterday they sent me an email saying that I've been put on a waiting list for an event that's in a different state, and saying that I should reply and confirm whether i'll be available within short notice hmmm
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Yea SANS is definitely having some trouble, and their treatment of facilitators has apparently slipped as well. A buddy of mine just got screwed out of his exam attempt that was supposed to be included. He stayed at the conference hotel and had scheduled his exam. Well he went to reschedule and then the attempt was gone. He contacted the Work Study head (S.A.) and was told that he didn't stay at the hotel, when he actually sent over his reservation before the event. So he responded with his reservation and original email to her and didn't receive any response. He contacted the Work Study email and they responded after his 4 month date and told him it was now too late and it was too bad. I mean, wow.

Wow, sounds like SANS needs to send some of it's clerk administrator's to basic management classes. There organization must be seriously screwed up, at least in the work study department.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    @UnixGuy - At least its a different state and they asked you icon_smile.gif

I was told two weeks before and I had to get everything booked and ready to go in that time for a different country.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    @Chanaka: I find this to be weird from their side to be honest. They can be more organised; it's not rocket science
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com