Options

Why can't I make a copy of any homemade DVDs?

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
It's weird. When I want to make a DVD copy of a homemade DVD (made from something like a video cam), I always get read errors. Movie DVDs are fine. I have tried DVD Decryptor, Nero, Apollo DVD copy - all the same. What makes homemade DVDs different and what is good to use to backup such a thing to another DVD+-R?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    It's probably your hardware. The DVD drive that you are using to read the DVD probably needs a firmware update. If the drive is older than two years, you may simply need to upgrade to a more modern DVD drive.

Try the firmware update first. Get the latest firmware and update utility only from the drive manufacturer's web site. If you still get read errors, start reading reviews on DVD burners (or DVD-ROMs) to find a make/model that a lot of people says reads/write everything that they've tried.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Short of updating firmware or replacing the drive which I agree is your likely path, you might get away with using a current copy of blindwrite. That program is basically a raw bit copier and will handle some things that give read errors.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO