Options

Florida Job Market Information Security

dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
Can someone who is familiar with the Job market in Florida assist me? I've been doing some research on salary ranges for someone with my qualification (Senior level, 16 years IT, 7 In infosec, CISSP,CISA,blah, blah, blah) I cannot come to conclusion. I see salary ranges anywhere from ($40,000-$130,000). In the UK, 95% of jobs list the salary employers are willing to pay but in the US its not included. I'm looking at the major cities such as Orlando, Miami, etc. any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I've lived here for 21 years now, and have been working in IT/InfoSec for 11 years, in both Jacksonville and Tampa markets. First, Tampa will probably be the biggest InfoSec market, then Miami then Jacksonville. Orlando is generally small from an InfoSec standpoint but I've seen some really good positions over there from time to time. Avoid it if you can as the traffic is hell (think DC lite at times).

Another thing is that the market is very cyclic here. The peak is usually at the beginning of the year where for example, you can see up to 90 jobs on Indeed with the keyword CISSP. It dwindles down after that and is pretty slow during the summer. It interestingly enough ramps up in the fall I think due to companies trying to either squeeze in reqs before their calendar year ends Dec 31st or for companies whose fiscal year ends Sep 30th they get the ok to hire in their reqs.

As for salary, will depend on whether you're going for technical or non-technical. I think the average salary for senior or higher level positions are probably $20k lower than other markets not in Cali, DMV or NYC. You'll definitely get over $100k here for those positions, but not as much as probably Atlanta or DFW markets would pay.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for this information.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    No problem! Hit me up via PM if you need anything. Also I just noticed, when I said up to 90 jobs on Indeed, I was meaning for my market in Jax. The other cities have way more during peak hiring season.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Thanks.. just sent you a PM.
  • Options
    Is there any place worse than Florida in the US when seeking a Job? My goodness, the market here is horrible.icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Is there any place worse than Florida in the US when seeking a Job? My goodness, the market here is horrible.icon_cool.gif

Where exactly are you at, if you don't mind sharing? I know here in Jax it's actually been a slower start to the new year than is typical (as far as InfoSec goes). And are you looking specifically at InfoSec?
  • Options
    uleghari007@gmail.comuleghari007@gmail.com Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you receive my PM?
    Thanks a lot for this information.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My background
    =========
    4 years IT exp
    0 years sec exp
    Orlando
    73k/year + benefits
    security engineering

I'd say you'd easily get over 100k with your background.

Also, I'd agree with JoJoCal19 about Tampa. I got a few job offers from there as well when I was job hunting. I think they're probably the biggest IT sec market. Reliaquest seemed like an awesome place to work out there.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    aderon wrote: »
    My background
    =========
    4 years IT exp
    0 years sec exp
    Orlando
    73k/year + benefits
    security engineering

I'd say you'd easily get over 100k with your background.

Also, I'd agree with JoJoCal19 about Tampa. I got a few job offers from there as well when I was job hunting. I think they're probably the biggest IT sec market. Reliaquest seemed like an awesome place to work out there.
    thanks for this information.. greatly appreciated...
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whats the cost of living in FL? I would imagine 70-100k salary would basically equate to a 40-70k salary in Ohio.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what about as a Network Engineer?
    Bachelor of Science in IT:Security - Western Governors University
  • Options
    Trucido wrote: »
    Whats the cost of living in FL? I would imagine 70-100k salary would basically equate to a 40-70k salary in Ohio.

It HIGHLY varies depending on where. I live in NE Florida making over 100k and can live like a king. You can get McMansions here for $200k. Florida also has zero state income taxes. South Florida, good luck with that. The COL is high down there.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I moved from Miami to Denver. Ranked #104 in IT jobs,wages,COL to a place that is ranked #4 according to a Forbes report recently.

I wouldn't recommend Miami, the cost of living and the traffic is absolute hell. Market is owned by recruiters and not too many tech companies.
    It's a tourist economy down there so not too much investment besides in hospitality services.

Not to mention, it feels like a jungle with boiling temperatures and constant monsoon rain for 5-6 months of the year.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JoJo

Just curious how you would rank those cities for know analysis positions? Business Analyst types roles.
  • Options
    Jobs are few and far between down here in South Florida. What i'm seeing is the same 7 companies recycling the same roles over and over. If you do get an initial phone screening call from a company for direct hire, expect to wait another 8-9 weeks for a scheduled interview. It is really a challenge to make anything over 95k here.
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    It is about the same over here in West Palm Beach. Thinking a move might be best to Denver...or to Franceicon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    100k wrote: »
    It is about the same over here in West Palm Beach. Thinking a move might be best to Denver...or to Franceicon_rolleyes.gif

Yes it sucks if your not working for FPL there arnt much options ..i cannot believe there arnt more than 7 companies hiring here..
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You should move up to the Washington DC metro area. Loads of jobs/good pay, but lousy roads..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    You should move up to the Washington DC metro area. Loads of jobs/good pay, but lousy roads..

seems like we cant win!! Where are the high paying jobs with lovely weather and decent roads? :)
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    ..and the cost of living is pretty high here..but the change of seasons is pretty cool.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Relocated from NYC to South Florida a year and a half ago. Been fortunate enough to initially land a contracting gig with a big name Financial Services company and now a permanent gig with a Fortune 100. The market is absolutely dominated by recruiters, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Both of my opportunities were brought to me by recruiters.

They really low ball out here but you can definitely make bank....if you work for the right company
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    Relocated from NYC to South Florida a year and a half ago. Been fortunate enough to initially land a contracting gig with a big name Financial Services company and now a permanent gig with a Fortune 100. The market is absolutely dominated by recruiters, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Both of my opportunities were brought to me by recruiters.

They really low ball out here but you can definitely make bank....if you work for the right company

Yes ive experienced that.. Recruitment firms try to pay you as low as possible but what to do when you are desparate?
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Take the job lol.
  • Options
    Take the job lol.

That was a rhetorical question :)
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I heard Tampa is a great tech hub with an average COL. Definitely nice that Florida doesn't have state income tax. Not sure if they make up for it with other types of taxes though.

I've looked at possibly relocating there myself.
  • Options
    zeitgeist29zeitgeist29 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□

Denver would be a good place. My brother was started out at 50k and got a 10k raise in 3 months once he got his CCNP. Now hes making 65 and its been about 15-18 months since he first started. Not to mention Denver is an awesome city, but good luck finding a reasonably priced apartment. Downtown its like 1500 for a studio and even in the burbs you wont find a 1 bd for less than 1100.
  • Options
    thesecuritybrothesecuritybro Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    I heard Tampa is a great tech hub with an average COL. Definitely nice that Florida doesn't have state income tax. Not sure if they make up for it with other types of taxes though.

I've looked at possibly relocating there myself.

One thing I have learned, don't take anyone's advice on cities without verification. If you want to move somewhere because you think it's a tech hub schedule security conferences and have lunch with recruiters.

I looked at Tampa a while back and jobs do not seem as plentiful as people claim them out to be.
  • Options
    One thing I have learned, don't take anyone's advice on cities without verification. If you want to move somewhere because you think it's a tech hub schedule security conferences and have lunch with recruiters.

I looked at Tampa a while back and jobs do not seem as plentiful as people claim them out to be.

Having lived there for two years (Spring 2013- Spring 2015), I feel there were a ton of IT jobs. A lot more so than Jacksonville. I continually got hit up, and still do, for jobs down there. Now, compared to Atlanta, DFW, DMV, etc, sure there's not "a lot". But there's more and higher quality than I've seen elsewhere in FL.
  • Options
    Anything has got to be better than the south.
  • Options
    lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone know if any MSP's in the Tampa area(specifically Pinellas) that might be hiring?

Thanks!