Options

Becoming a software tester!

Ed75Ed75 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

trans.gif?cver=0%0d%0a
I am looking to change career and become a software tester in the UK.

The main options as far as basic certification is concerned seem to be either Microsoft "98-379 – Software Testing Fundamentals" or the "Foundation Level ISTQB Certified Tester"

Can anyone advise me which qualification might be most useful in getting an entry-level job? Or should I do both?

Thanks!

Ed

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I did software testing for a while for a VERY large company, high up the Fortune list. The ISTQB i used as a guide, but never took the test. However they didn't care about the cert at all, and were unfamiliar with it.

I researched it a lot, and i am pretty sure the software domain doesnt care about certifications
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only certification that I regularly see preferred in the application development world is CSM (Certified Scrum Master) doesn't tie directly tie into testing. Like Mike mentioned I don't see certifications being required for testing, it's usually the help desk of application development and more of a entry level path into analyst work or developer. My very first contract position in that space was data cleanup and testing. More on the database side and I can assure you they wanted to make sure I had skills, not certifications. Much different space than systems, or networking.

With that said I'm not trying discourage you just present my findings. Microsoft never hurts on your resume, maybe you could research that, if it's an MTA exam it shouldn't be too discuss or pricey.