Options

Question about DHCP

starnixonstarnixon Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys, im trying to figure out a problem in my mind, but i am not finding the answer...

When a computer first connects to a network, he sends out a message to the broadcast adress, looking for a DHCP server to give him an ip adress right?
My question is, if the computer doesen't have an ip adress, how can it know the broadcast adress for that network?
How does it know , that the broadcast adress is 192.168.0.255 and is not 192.168.23.255 or 10.25.255.255 for example...?

I just started to read compTIA Network+ book, i never ever had contact with networking before i start reading this book.
I am a person that can only understand something when it makes logical sense, so i really like to go to the bottom of every subject to understand how it really works.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    The PC sends out a broadcast using its MAC address as the source address and the global broadcast address (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) as the destination address across the network until it finds the router. It's called a DHCPDiscover message.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    Oh ok , so when that global broadcast adress (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) get's to the router, it will then find a DHCP server for the computer, and establish the connection between both?
  • Options
    Pretty much. It is a 255.255.255.255 ip address and the computer is pretty much saying "Hello DHCP, I'm here, where are you?" across the subnet. The DHCP eventually gets that message and reply's with a DHCPOFFER message.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    Here is some more info.

What is DHCP and How DHCP Works? (DHCP Fundamentals Explained))

Step by Step towards the middle - Layer 3

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    Oh ok , thank you very mutch for the reply.
    I am currently studying for the comptia network+ exam, right after that I will go for ccna certification, so you will probably see me around here a lot.
    Thank you again you were very helpful =).
  • Options
    Good luck, buddy! :)

Follow my OSCP Thread!