Options

How far would you drive for a Interview?

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I just got off the phone with a job and they want me to come in for a interview. I checked on google maps to see how long it would take me to get there, and it said it would take 2hrs to 2hrs and 10 min to get there.... I will have to let that one go. Plus the job is only paying 17.00 an hr. The longest I would drive for any interview is 1hr 30min. Because I have done it before and did it all the time.
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Would depend on where the position I would work at was. If it was at the location of where the interview was, I would only drive 30 minutes max.

If it wasn't, I would drive/fly to most places if the position was good enough.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    That is not worth the drive. I give a 20 mile radius for me, since traffic is a pain in the arse.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For just an interview, not the job itself, right? I would probably drive 2 hours if I had the time and it was a good opportunity. If it was an amazing opportunity I'd probably drive even farther.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would gauge the commuting distance from my home. I declined a job that would have been a 45-60 minute commute from my home every day, I found something else a month later paying about the same, and it's 10 minutes away. I would factor the commute cost (both time & money) into the asking price - if it's going to cost an additional $50 in gas/car expenses plus time out of my day to drive there I'm going to expect more money, or it's like taking a pay cut.
    I wouldn't personally interview for a job 2 hours away unless I was thinking of moving there. That's too much time out of my life spent driving.
  • Options
    mbarrett wrote: »
    I would gauge the commuting distance from my home. I declined a job that would have been a 45-60 minute commute from my home every day, I found something else a month later paying about the same, and it's 10 minutes away. I would factor the commute cost (both time & money) into the asking price - if it's going to cost an additional $50 in gas/car expenses plus time out of my day to drive there I'm going to expect more money, or it's like taking a pay cut.
    I wouldn't personally interview for a job 2 hours away unless I was thinking of moving there. That's too much time out of my life spent driving.

I agree. And the job only pays 17.00 an hr as well. The only way I would drive that long is for 25-30 an hr
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So you'd have to work 2 hours to fill up your gas tank? Nahh, I'd pass on that too.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It really depends, if they're offering me a job that's way more than what I make, and the actual office i'd be working isn't extremely far as well, i'd probably drive up to 1-2 hours to interview; of course i'd ask if theres a skype/phone interview we can do as an alternative as the drive is that long. The job itself would have to be within 30 minutes of my location.

Typically when I interview (knowing they aren't offering $20+/hr) I try not to go further than 45 minutes. Luckily I live in Columbus, OH, so everything SHOULD be within 10-45 minutes of my location anyway.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    At 17.00 per hr It is not worth the drive. The job just sent me an email saying they will make a decision by COB today and the person would start on monday. That is still not worth 17 an hr.... but the job site is an hr and 30 from me though... so now IDK
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I planned to drive 5 hours to interview for my current job, but it was a huge raise and wfh. Ended up with a sick kid in the hospital, so they opted to do a video interview, instead. Still got the job.
  • Options
    Mow wrote: »
    I planned to drive 5 hours to interview for my current job, but it was a huge raise and wfh. .

Exactly... this was a raise and wfh... so it was def worth it. In my case its a huge pay cut... and a 3 month contract. My last gig paid me 25 an hr.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've got an hour one way, 1.5 hours the otherway. After this job I don't think I ever want to go above 30-45 minutes again.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Exactly... this was a raise and wfh... so it was def worth it. In my case its a huge pay cut... and a 3 month contract. My last gig paid me 25 an hr.

Right, I understand. I was just posting my experience. As far as how far would I drive, I have driven about 2.5 hours for an interview, but that was also wfh. I wouldn't travel more than an hour to interview at a place where I would be working, though.
  • Options
    Well good news!!!

I decided to ditch the 17 an hr interview and got a call from a job I spoke too yesterday. They want me to do a phone interview with them Monday! the pay is 23 an hr. Its not that much of a cut from 25 an hr... plus its a longer gig... 6 to 8 month contract vs a 3 month. I plan on giving it my all and coming out on top.

Also I did very well on the interview to possibly go to Georgia and work with my old company again... the gig that I finished earlier last month. So my fingers are crossed!

icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    But I would walk 500 miles
    And I would walk 500 more
    Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles
    To fall down at your door
  • Options
    KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless you were planning on relocating, there is no way I would go that far, especially for that little $$.
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
  • Options
    But I would walk 500 miles
    And I would walk 500 more
    Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles
    To fall down at your door

Daa da daaa Daa daa daaa!!!
  • Options
    Kyrak wrote: »
    Unless you were planning on relocating, there is no way I would go that far, especially for that little $$.

The only way I would relocate is for more money then 17 an hr.... 20 an hr and up I would move.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Longest I drove for an interview was 3 hours. It would have meant relocation, but I was cool with that. It was about 15% increase in salary, and career progression. But, no, I did not get the job.

I'd do it again, for the right job. Not really in love with where I'm living at the moment, so a chance to relocate would be nice.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Drove 3.5 hrs for a better job in a better job market with over twice the pay. Got the job. It depends on your situation.