Options

From Network Engineer to CISSP

human1986human1986 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

I would like some advise from you all. I am a Network Engineer CCNP certified, trying to get into the field of IT Security. I have very basic understanding of IT Security but no real work experience. Do you think it is possible for me prepare and pass CISSP exam, and even if I pass will I be able to get endorsement from (ISC)2.

I have Comptia Security + in my mind as well, if CISSP is not recommended, i will proceed with that?

Please shed some light :)

Regards
Nav

Comments

• Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    human1986 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

I would like some advise from you all. I am a Network Engineer CCNP certified, trying to get into the field of IT Security. I have very basic understanding of IT Security but no real work experience. Do you think it is possible for me prepare and pass CISSP exam, and even if I pass will I be able to get endorsement from (ISC)2.

I have Comptia Security + in my mind as well, if CISSP is not recommended, i will proceed with that?

Please shed some light :)

Regards
    Nav

You can pass the exam with some study. I was purely technical and was able to do it. You need to see if you experience lines up with the requirement from ISC2. I would definitely recommend Security+.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can pass the CISSP exam, but there is an extensive experience requirement for endorsement (5 years, though some of that can be substituted with education, etc.). Look at the experience requirements and see if they match up with your experience.

Security+ has no experience requirement, you just need to pass the exam, so it sounds like Security+ might be a better starting point for you right now.

Just my 2 cents.
    Joe
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I am having a master's degree in networks and security. Not sure if that would wave one year off. However showing 4 years of experience in at least 4 domains will be difficult.
    Does ISC2 help us in endorsement? Just in case if we don't know anyone with valid cissp ??
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    human1986 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. I am having a master's degree in networks and security. Not sure if that would wave one year off. However showing 4 years of experience in at least 4 domains will be difficult.
    Does ISC2 help us in endorsement? Just in case if we don't know anyone with valid cissp ??

isc2 will endorse you. They will contact your former employers and verify the dates. Their website is worth a read for the nitty gritty details.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    It would be nice to get more CISSPs that understand networking.

Before you discredit yourself, look through the domains, and check if you have experience in the domains that they're looking for:
    https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx

Here's the complete list of steps:
    https://www.isc2.org/cissp-how-to-certify.aspx

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    thank you guys. Looking at the 8 domains. I have more than 5 years experience in exactly 2 domains,1. Security Assessment and Testing and 2. Communication and Network Security.

Suppose I can get ISC2 to endorse me for CISSP. Trouble is, i dont know anyone with a valid CISSP right now.
  • Options
    thank you Ertaz
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can read Sec+ material just for the information, but I don't think you need to take the exam. I would recommend the CCNA/P Security route so you can learn some security concepts while keeping your CCNP valid. I jumped into the CISSP immediately after completing CCNP Security.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Ok. I did consider that. The only problem with that is. CCNP security requires hardware. Any recommendations on that?? I can't really afford to buy couple of ASA s and an IDS. Lol
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Understood. I made that recommendation under the assumption that you were working in a Cisco shop that could give you access lol.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    It is a Cisco shop. But we don't do ASA firewall. Have you tried ASAv within unetlabs??. Will that suffice for ccnp security ???