Options

Good alternatives to WGU and withdrawl

2»

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    beads wrote: »
    You get out of it, what you put into it. Just don't call them academically equal - they aren't. Academic reputation will always or I hope it will be, important. If your pursuing a bachelor's or Master's simply to pass an HR filter and spend as little cash as possible its going to show in the quality of your efforts elsewhere.
    I agree. But after weighing in all the options I have I still think that WGU is the best school I can have in my situation. I'm totally for the most difficult, grueling and challenging schools if and when possible. The keyword here being 'possible'. The best schools are really cost prohibitive.

If I was younger and my parents supported me and I didn't have a family to support and I didn't have an established career already and I wasn't a foreigner who has close to zero chances getting a scholarship blah-blah, insert your argument here, I would consider better schools. But for now, WGU is a way to go for me.
    icon_silent.gifFull disclosure. Leo and once worked together. He can attest "I talk to much". icon_exclaim.gif
    - b/eads

Yeah, good times. Hope we can work together some other day on some cool projects!
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    WGU in the end is just another educational model similar to various others introduced before. No one cared much for correspondence courses or boarding school or video courses or even online education when first introduced. But eventually, all these mediums gain traction among a subset of people that can benefit from it.
    So instead of ragging on WGU proper, what we should take out of it is the advice of the BTDTs (Been There Done That) for the others or even amongst ourselves to benefit most from this kind of education. Everyone will otherwise rag on WGU, just like they do on UoP/Ashford/TUI...For God's sakes, when articles are printed about grade inflation at Harvard and Brown or sexual harassment at UCLA or Duke, who posts to say don't study there? There is always controversy about all these issues. Just google the myriad threads about Harvard Extension School and whether their alumni qualify as "true" Harvard grads.
    What I would ask from WGU deans is that they should peruse these kind of boards to review the real student feedback, not the canned crap gleaned from their online survey or email spam. These threads are what should be used to improve the student's educational experience and improve taskstream grading, course design and production, mentor/student relations and much more.
    WGU will benefit a certain subset of people as mentioned repeatedly, despite any naysayers on here or other boards.
    Employers will still hire WGU grads.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, the only reason I am in WGU is because it fits my life best out of all the options I had available.

I'd very much prefer to earn a more respected degree. I don't mind saying that at all, because it is the truth. However, it would actually be impossible for me without sacrificing my family's stability. I can actually say with 100% confidence that it'd be impossible for me to manage both a traditional B&M program and my family without sacrificing one or the other.

So I made a decision. I compromised my education for a more stable family. My father did the opposite, and I remember what it did to my childhood. He is extremely successful now, but even today I do not consider him to be my primary male role model despite all of the hard facts.

But this is just where my life has taken me. Everyone is different, and everyone's circumstances are unique. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

This is very valid. Pretty similar situation myself, been in IT 16+ years now, some certs, a BS was a personal goal as I had completed a lot of one when I was younger and left, but it had to fit in with my life. Which includes a spouse and child. My wife just finished school for a career change, it has a pretty strong effect on the family for the last few years, lots of juggling. She said herself she doesn't want to go back for a long time.

Now, I have tuition reimbursement, I'm thinking about an MS program, do I need it? Not really. But, it's been a personal goal, I enjoy learning and it can't hurt to have long term. I already have a good amount of certs, get a lot of training at work, have a job I like and I'm paid well, etc. Looking at different schools, part time, I'm looking at what, 4 years or so? That's a lot to ask of my family.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I'm looking at what, 4 years or so? That's a lot to ask of my family.
    Exactly. People say, "So what, four years is nothing. Blink and it will be over! It's a short amount of time to invest in something so valuable."

Yeah, blink and your kids will be finished with high school.

They will have gone to prom. They will have played in countless games on evenings and weekends. They will have competed in competitions. Then they walked across the stage and got their diploma. Now they're headed to college.

I don't want to miss any of it.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WGU in the end is just another educational model similar to various others introduced before. No one cared much for correspondence courses or boarding school or video courses or even online education when first introduced. But eventually, all these mediums gain traction among a subset of people that can benefit from it.
    So instead of ragging on WGU proper, what we should take out of it is the advice of the BTDTs (Been There Done That) for the others or even amongst ourselves to benefit most from this kind of education. Everyone will otherwise rag on WGU, just like they do on UoP/Ashford/TUI...For God's sakes, when articles are printed about grade inflation at Harvard and Brown or sexual harassment at UCLA or Duke, who posts to say don't study there? There is always controversy about all these issues. Just google the myriad threads about Harvard Extension School and whether their alumni qualify as "true" Harvard grads.
    What I would ask from WGU deans is that they should peruse these kind of boards to review the real student feedback, not the canned crap gleaned from their online survey or email spam. These threads are what should be used to improve the student's educational experience and improve taskstream grading, course design and production, mentor/student relations and much more.
    WGU will benefit a certain subset of people as mentioned repeatedly, despite any naysayers on here or other boards.
    Employers will still hire WGU grads.

You lack of grammatical detail above says you we're likely rather angry when you wrote that mess or you lack of valid English credentials is shining through - admirably.

I believe I iterated my concerns with grade inflation. Given today's low, low grading standards and emphasis on "safe spaces", historical diversity and participation awards I can see where institutions like WGU are attractive to low achievers. Truth be told compared to 20 years ago I feel a bit cheated having to actually work for grades and class position. No one gets 'C's anymore in brick and mortar schools. Its all pay for play now. Feel better now?

- b/eads
  • Options
    You lack of grammatical detail above says you we're likely rather angry when you wrote that mess or you lack of valid English credentials is shining through - admirably.

I believe I iterated my concerns with grade inflation. Given today's low, low grading standards and emphasis on "safe spaces", historical diversity and participation awards I can see where institutions like WGU are attractive to low achievers. Truth be told compared to 20 years ago I feel a bit cheated having to actually work for grades and class position. No one gets 'C's anymore in brick and mortar schools. Its all pay for play now. Feel better now?

- b/eads
    LOL. I am not taking sides, but I always enjoy reading your posts.

FWIW, I definitely feel that I cheated myself out of a good education because I threw away the opportunity to attend in my pre-familyguy days.

When I'm done with WGU and the kids are done with high school, I am planning on taking graduate courses from a more respectable institution. Just for my own benefit, and maybe a little bit of pride.
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□

- b/eads

So harsh! Relax, I know many grads who attended top universities. Some were on academic probation for most of their degree. He is now 36 and killing it. I am talking about chemical engineering degrees. Let's be honest, most classes undergrad classes outside of ivy are not that hard. For me, show me group work and analytical ability in class. Show me hard work and compromise on the job. You will go much further with the latter.
  • Options
    Your personal attack is noted and appreciated (sarcasm!), even as you yourself fail to demonstrate a Shakespearean mastery of the English language.

I wonder what justified your post, even when I didn't single you out personally or mention your educational achievement. As noted in regular conversation, stick to the facts.
  • Options
    OK, time out. Go to your rooms.
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    [...] Personally, I do not give a hoot that seven state Governor's cobbled together "fuax-U", its not a viable school as far as I am concerned.
    [...]
    Full disclosure. Leo and once worked together. He can attest "I talk to much". icon_exclaim.gif

- b/eads

Underline and red emphasis mine.

Personally, I get a hard-on when I see someone randomly berating someone else's post for their English skills when I can scroll up in the same thread and see the same or worse in their own. Bravo.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    Someone get a ref in here, stat!
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    joemc3 wrote: »
    Let's be honest, most classes undergrad classes outside of ivy are not that hard.
    Point of clarification - Ivy league undergrad classes are not hard. The only part that's hard is getting in. (I have heard this from more than one source.)
    Being an "Elite" school, top-xx, blah blah doesn't mean much, except "congrats" on getting written up in US News & World Report. It is well-known that this has become a big game for the schools, the ones rated near the top only show that their front-office/PR people know how to game the rankings better to generate more enrollments/revenue. Any undergrad program can be as rigorous or easy as someone wants to make it. At the end of the day none of them are terribly difficult (notwithstanding tougher majors, engineering, etc.) It mostly shows employers that you have the ability to effectively manage time and get things done of moderate difficulty in a timely manner. Think you are gonna get something out of it? Go out and work for it, nobody's going to do it for you even if you are in an Ivy school.
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Someone get a ref in here, stat!

icon_lol.gif It's all good. People get cranky.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    goatama wrote: »
    icon_lol.gif It's all good. People get cranky.

NO! It's not all good!! I want a ref in here now...and a key to a room!

LOL.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Love the heated debates!
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I love that the OP hasn't been back to post with all this excellent advice being offered. Here's another post not contributing much :D
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152

- b/eads
    What the hell? I wanted to reply to your post where you mention how you feel embarrassed about your Bachelor's but decided against it because I was not sure if my opinion about you was truly valid or not. It's safer to say now that you're a rude, entitled jerk. You disrespect those that earned their degrees from the university you attended, slam those going to WGU and other 'lesser institutions', and now you rag on someone's post by assuming and insinuating bull****... don't be an ass.
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    ITHokieITHokie Member Posts: 158 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man, I love this board. For those denigrating WGU, I want thank you kindly for inadvertently revealing some of your comical biases. Let's see - we have
    danny069 wrote: »
    I agree, WGU is bourgeois.

Elitism (coming from someone who hails from a top 200 institution, no less)
    beads wrote:
    Relying strictly on questionable certifications to receive a "degree"

Ignorance
    beads wrote:
    Again, I am supposed to keep a straight face when you compare taking the CEH to writing my own attack code within a major thesis?

Error of category and a strawman. Absolutely no one is comparing C|EH to a doctoral thesis or trying to argue that they are similar. This is completely absurd.
    beads wrote:
    Perhaps watching PBS is what most people consider education

Condescending BS
    beads wrote:
    If your pursuing a bachelor's or Master's simply to pass an HR filter and spend as little cash as possible its going to show in the quality of your efforts elsewhere.
    beads wrote:
    Known many working adults working two jobs or one position with children who have managed to finish an education and be a role model for their children in the process.

Moral superiority
    beads wrote:

Epic irony. I wonder how others would assess you based on your own standards? I would love to elaborate, but goatama @ 41 already shredded it.

So none of this is meant to attack the notion of attending other universities. As an example, I will be not be going to WGU for an MS. There are good reasons to attend schools like St Johns and Boston U, and there are good reasons to attend WGU. The decision about where or if to attend should be based on projected ROI, opportunity costs, interests, etc.

Unfortunately, we've seen a lot of nonsensical and antiquated reasons against attending WGU. I'm sure all of us have experienced this sort of behavior before from people who might attach too much value or self-worth to their education. But times are changing. I was in an interview 2 days ago where I was literally told by the hiring manager that, "we don't care about degrees for this role." It wasn't the first time I heard that.

For those reading this thread and trying to decide what to do, the education paradigm is shifting. Degrees are an important part of the picture, but their importance is deflating. Do your research and make informed decisions for the future, not the past or present. Taking out $150k in loans to pursue your academic dreams is a bad idea. Learning is not confined to the academy.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,058 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @ Volf - Didn't hurt my friend out of the military either. He's doing better than the median salary in IT with a bachelors from U of P. So much more to this formula, aptitude, personality, opportunities, relations, everything else......

Indeed.

At the end of the day... it's probably the ROI that matters the most to people.
    So in that regard.... it doesn't really matter what my opinion is, does it?

Traditional b&m Universities represent the "establishment".
    Institutions like WGU are the disruptors.

Who am i to complain about having more options...?
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□

- b/eads
    I feel slightly disturbed by the grammatical errors I have highlighted above! How is it possible to commit such outrageous errors?

I thoroughly enjoyed your post otherwise.