Options

GPEN in Baltimore in October

ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
Been fighting for this for a while. Got final approval yesterday. Will book class and travel on Monday. (New rewards card coming in, woot!) I am super stoked. 37 CPEs with my name on them. Any recommendations for a first time SANS class attendee?

Comments

• Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pay attention! I also tend to highlight keywords on each page as going through them in class. I use those highlights to create my index after the fact. just ends up saving some time, but make sure you are focusing on the class & not the book.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yes. Please, do NOT index during class. Also, make sure you make the most out of networking. There's a lot of value on having so many Infosec pros in once place. And do not forget about the night talks. Those are great opportunities to catch up on some trending topics and network with the instructor.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on getting that approved! Like said above pay attention, highlight key points, and I liked to write random notes in the book that would help me understand things more later on when I went back over the books.

I saw some people trying to create an index during the classes and have to assume they were missing out on a bunch of things...

Other than those basics, I'd say try and talk with as many people as you can around you right away. Going to be with them and working with them throughout the week.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Like @cyberguypr - don't do your index during class. Look at getting GSEC
  • Options
    kiki162 wrote: »
    Like @cyberguypr - don't do your index during class. Look at getting GSEC

You are the second person to recommend GSEC to me. If I already have my CISSP/CASP/SEC+ is the GSEC worth doing compared to getting GPEN then pursuing GNFA?
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't forget to signup for FREE Netwars, this is something I over looked in my first two classes, even if you only make the first session, it's of value to go and learn.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Don't forget to signup for FREE Netwars, this is something I over looked in my first two classes, even if you only make the first session, it's of value to go and learn.

The netwars shows as an extra grand or so on the checkout sheet. Was it only free for a limited time?
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    The netwars shows as an extra grand or so on the checkout sheet. Was it only free for a limited time?

I made the same mistake, "Netwars Continuous" does cost $1,199, but Netwars during the conference is free, it's after classes at night I think it's the first three days, they are suppose to have free beer too. It's basically a hacking challenge learning experience. I can't give you more details, as I said I missed the boat on this one, twice. Mainly due to the fact I just tell my training department what course I want to take and they took care of all the details. I never saw the SANS registration form, I believe it says it right on the registration form when you sign up, I've been told you can still sign up when you show up for the first day of classes as well.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I made the same mistake, "Netwars Continuous" does cost $1,199, but Netwars during the conference is free, it's after classes at night I think it's the first three days, they are suppose to have free beer too. It's basically a hacking challenge learning experience. I can't give you more details, as I said I missed the boat on this one, twice. Mainly due to the fact I just tell my training department what course I want to take and they took care of all the details. I never saw the SANS registration form, I believe it says it right on the registration form when you sign up, I've been told you can still sign up when you show up for the first day of classes as well.

Thank you for the heads up. I will put it in my comments that I want to signup for this as well.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ertaz wrote: »
    You are the second person to recommend GSEC to me. If I already have my CISSP/CASP/SEC+ is the GSEC worth doing compared to getting GPEN then pursuing GNFA?

If you are comparing GSEC to your current certs, remember that GSEC will have a lot more info then you think. It will certainly give you an idea on what to expect when it comes to studying and creating your index.

If you are looking more for the ROI, it all really depends on your background and where you wanna go in your career. Also look at GCIH and GCIA.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agree with kiki, people downplay the GSEC, but it does cover a lot of technical security, and I think the Linux and Windows specific books were great too.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the SEC401 class in 2008 but never took the GSEC exam. I decided to take the GSEC in January because it seems to be the most commonly known GIAC cert.
  • Options
    kiki162 wrote: »
    If you are comparing GSEC to your current certs, remember that GSEC will have a lot more info then you think. It will certainly give you an idea on what to expect when it comes to studying and creating your index. If you are looking more for the ROI, it all really depends on your background and where you wanna go in your career. Also look at GCIH and GCIA.

I'm only going to get one SANS class per year. With the title "Security Essentials" I just assumed I could skip it since I've been at this a while. I would like to take GNFA next year and do work/study for GICSP as a "For-Fun" treat to myself.
  • Options
    Woot. It is now officially booked! Never been so geeked up about some training. I'm about to partake in the Catalina Wine Mixer of InfoSec.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Get as much sleep as you can muster. I came down with the flu the beginning of the week and wasn't until Friday that I felt better. Definitely learning by a firehose so be as ready as you can be for it. Other then that, have fun!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Get as much sleep as you can muster. I came down with the flu the beginning of the week and wasn't until Friday that I felt better. Definitely learning by a firehose so be as ready as you can be for it. Other then that, have fun!

Getting sick while traveling is the worst! I spent a night in Detroit after a cancelled flight sick as a dog.