Options

G.e.d

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Someone else mentioned taking CLEP tests, which I also highly recommend. What tests get accepted varies from college to college, but it's a good way to knock out some of your lower-level classes. I was able to use 5 of them towards my degree which shaved off a semester for my degree. A lot of teachers just teach from the text book and the publisher's slides, so you're not missing much by just studying and taking the exam.

I studied for and passed the Spanish CLEP. Was good for 9 credits(3 classes worth). Not only a time saver but a money saver.
    Im not even a native speaker.

Pick one you like, history, math. You could test out of the more basic classes.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Trucido wrote: »
    entry level network engineer/ect should accept a G.E.D. Later in my career it would be harder to get promoted or senior level jobs with only a GED.

Entry level Neteng is a mid level professional role. Trust me. Unless you have 5-7yr exp as a neteng, it will be extremely hard without a degree.
    You can look good exp-wise, but many companies, especially gov't require a bachelor degree for such.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got my GED and only my AA degree. I have not had any issues finding employment whatsoever. Granted my success is 95% mostly my experience and certifications. The school diplomas just show you are an educated person in other areas of IT. I guess it tells employers you can read, write, work with others (as you do in school projects), spent time and invested in yourself (as we know degrees cost money and years!) It just covers the intangibles/small things about you. That is why people can get a degree in accounting or in some other field, study for IT certs and get entry level positions then work their way up. I would recommend get an AA at the very minimum.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @volfkhat

How old are you? --- 27
    It sounds like you are just starting your journey. --- Certification wise, yes.
    Do you have any pc experience already? Yes ive been working Technical Support/Help desk since 2011
    Do you have a passion/interest for it? I love I.T. I've never had network engineer/sys admin experience, but I feel like its where I want to be career wise.

At this point I feel like I am not going directly for a degree, because entry level network engineer/ect should accept a G.E.D. Later in my career it would be harder to get promoted or senior level jobs with only a GED. So i've got some time to weigh my options with college.

Cool!

But.... you want to do "network" stuff?

Maybe you should skip the A+,
    instead go for Net+ (if you have time), and then straight to CCNA.

If that is where your interests are :]
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    But.... you want to do "network" stuff?

Maybe you should skip the A+,
    instead go for Net+ (if you have time), and then straight to CCNA.

I want to get knowledge from the ground up. After I get my CCNA, the only CompTIA I will keep active is Security.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    Entry level Neteng is a mid level professional role. Trust me. Unless you have 5-7yr exp as a neteng, it will be extremely hard without a degree.
    You can look good exp-wise, but many companies, especially gov't require a bachelor degree for such.

When I say entry level I mean like IOC/NOC, not Network engineer Tier 2/3 ect. But yeah, I will eventually work on an Associates or Bachelors when I have a better paying job. Then try to move up with the degree later on in my career.
    2017 Certification Goals
  • Options
    Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If there is a degree that you WANT to do and is HELPFUL to your career goals, I say GO FOR IT! Don't do it "just because" though.

That said I think the push for a college degree these days is sillier than ever. Yes for a career where you need one get it, like being a Dr. And yes computer science etc where relevant. As for me, 16 years in IT without a college degree and doing just fine. I've been mostly self taught all of my life.

Anyways, I wish you the best for whatever your decision is. Go git em!
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You may not have to do college. You may able to goto a trade school and a Micro degree or even a Nano Degree in less than a year. I've known of people to do this and come moderately well.
  • Options
    Matt2 wrote: »
    If there is a degree that you WANT to do and is HELPFUL to your career goals, I say GO FOR IT! Don't do it "just because" though.

That said I think the push for a college degree these days is sillier than ever. Yes for a career where you need one get it, like being a Dr. And yes computer science etc where relevant. As for me, 16 years in IT without a college degree and doing just fine. I've been mostly self taught all of my life.

Anyways, I wish you the best for whatever your decision is. Go git em!

Well yeah I would pick something relevant, maybe Computer Science or some sort of Information security type deal.

Thanks for the advice and luck!
    2017 Certification Goals
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    You may not have to do college. You may able to goto a trade school and a Micro degree or even a Nano Degree in less than a year. I've known of people to do this and come moderately well.

I'll look into that, thank you!
    2017 Certification Goals
  • Options
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Someone else mentioned taking CLEP tests, which I also highly recommend. What tests get accepted varies from college to college, but it's a good way to knock out some of your lower-level classes. I was able to use 5 of them towards my degree which shaved off a semester for my degree. A lot of teachers just teach from the text book and the publisher's slides, so you're not missing much by just studying and taking the exam.

Hey thanks, i'll look into CLEP too!

Random:
    I wonder if you can literally apply to a college, sign up for courses you need for your degree, watch online videos and lectures, and take the tests (when they roll around) without actually having to go to class. I've heard of people doing that, not sure if its legit... or a good idea... :P
    2017 Certification Goals
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□

Random:
    I wonder if you can literally apply to a college, sign up for courses you need for your degree, watch online videos and lectures, and take the tests (when they roll around) without actually having to go to class. I've heard of people doing that, not sure if its legit... or a good idea... :P

I was in the only college class I ever took where that happened. Saw several guys the first day and they showed up again on the test days and finals. Easy class though and instructor told them it was fine.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    abey1st wrote: »
    Thanks Thomas_. When you said I was able to use 5 of them" are you talking about using credit acquired from saylor.org at WGU? If yes which courses?

Unfortunately, I didn't know about WGU when I went to college. I was going to college at a brick and mortar university. Basically, there were certain lower-level courses that my university required as pre-requisites to other classes. Instead of taking the classes at the University I studied for those CLEP tests since my university granted credits for those classes if you passed the CLEP test.

The ones I CLEP'ed were Sociology, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Biology, and Calculus. I paid around $125 for each test and got 15 or 16 credits. If I had taken those classes at the University I would have had to deal with sitting in class, doing homework, taking multiple tests, etc. I also would have paid around $4500 - $5000 total in tuition($300/credit hour) for those courses and maybe another $500 - $1000 in books. Instead, I paid around $600 - $700 in test fees and maybe $100 in study materials.

I'm not really sure if you can do CLEPs with WGU, maybe some other members can inform us. Even if you can't do CLEP at WGU, it would probably still be the best bet because you're able to knock out college and your certs at the same time(or get credit for the certs you already have.)

Random:

Depending on the university a lot of classes can be like that or there may be very few. It really depends on how robust their distance learning programs are and what thpes of students the college is catering to. If they are catering strictly to a "traditional" student who went to college right after high school then their distance learning options probably won't be as plentiful than if they're catering to non-traditional students that have to fit in classes around a full-time job.

I believe WGU is more or less study on your own without having to go to any classes. Even in a traditional butt-in-seat college I found some classes that were loosely structured. I had two classes where I just had to read assigned texts and then take a multiple choice test when I was ready, but I had to take a certain amount of tests within a certain period of time. I also had to write 2-3 reports during the semester. It was a really easy class, but if you weren't used to managing your time I can see how some people would struggle with such a loosely structured course.

I've heard stories from people about being able to sign up for classes, get the syllabus on the first day of class and then only return for the tests. Most of these stories I've personally heard are from people who attended iñuniversities between 10-20 yesrs ago. Most of the classes I attended made it really difficult to do this and still do well in the coass because the instructor would assign a certain percentage of your grade to attendance, class participation, pop quizzes, homework, etc. If you never attended class you would be losikg 10-20% of your grade right off the bat.

One instructor told us that they had to enter a "date of last attendance" if a student failed the course for financial aid purposes, so I think all of those grading policids are a means to make it easier for teachers to keep track of when a student last attended class.

I also think the universities might be coddling students a lot more than they used to just because it looks bad if your graduation rate is really low which seems to be the case for universities ir you look into graduation statistics.