Options

No user specified nor avialble for SSH client???

pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I am using pearsons CCENT simulator to prep for the CCENT 101-105 exam. The issue im having is with the SSH configuration sumulation, I followed all the instructions given (I am instructed what commands to type) but for soime reason wehn I actually go to remote into the device I just configured i get this "No user specified nor avialble for SSH client" response from the CLI.

Could anyone please help???

Thanks
Pujan
[X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
[  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
[  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
[  ] CCIE R&S LAB

Comments

• Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you use login, or login local​ in your vty line configuration mode? This is from my own "Initial device setup" instructions:

>(config)# ip domain-name mydomain.co.uk
    >(config)# username cisco password candyfloss
    >(config)# crypto key generate rsa
    >(config)# 1024
    >(config)# line vty 0 15
    >(config-line)# login local
    >(config-line)# transport input ssh telnet
    >(config-line)# exit

How does that compare to the instructions you followed? When trying to SSH in to the device remotely you should be prompted to use the username "cisco" and password "candyfloss".
  • Options
    I also suggest Googling the error (with correct spelling) as there are many posts from people experiencing the same difficulty.

Are you trying to connect from a Windows client using something like Putty, or from another router being used as a client? For the latter it appears you need to connect using the command ssh -l username ip-address where username is the user you configured and ip-address is the ip address of the device you're trying to ssh in to. This seems to have resolved the problem for a number of users which makes me guess it wasn't working if they didn't send the username as part of the connection request (which I believe is how Putty works so not sure how to work around that).
  • Options
    HI, I am using pearsons net sim to do this and I have used the login local command, I have configured a switch and am then asked to connect to a router in the topology and then attempt to SSH to the switch I configured, which is when I get that error.
    [X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
    [  ] CCNP Switch 300-115

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
    [  ] CCIE R&S LAB
  • Options
    OK, the config I gave you was on a router, I've not actually configured SSH access to a switch before so there's my next lab sorted!

Are you using the command format from my second post (#3) when trying to ssh from the router to the switch? And of course the router is connected via ethernet to the switch and the correct IP addresses and default gateways are configured at both ends?

At this stage we need input from someone more familiar with using ssh in a working production environment, but if I can get a better handle on the problem from my lab before you've resolved this I'll let you know.
  • Options
    Hi Sorry,

I have actually configured the config onto a router and again am attempting to SSH from another router, all the IP addresses, default gateways and such are all preconfigured by the simulator, I have just configured SSH, also I am able to telnet to the router, just not SSH, if that helps at all.

THanks
    [X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
    [  ] CCNP Switch 300-115

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
    [  ] CCIE R&S LAB
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ssh username@host ...does that work?
  • Options
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Ssh username@host ...does that work?

Hi Could you please explain what you mean? Im still a bit of a noob, sorry
    [X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
    [  ] CCNP Switch 300-115

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
    [  ] CCIE R&S LAB
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    did you have the "hostname" set before creating your crypto key?
    and have you changed it since then?
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    pujan96 wrote: »
    Hi Could you please explain what you mean? Im still a bit of a noob, sorry
    ssh username@ip_address_of_device ... Assuming you have set the IP address you should be good.
  • Options
    I've just factory reset one of my 3560 switches, and then I configured it for SSH using the commands in post #2 (with the exception of using transport input ssh only, so no telnet access) *AFTER* I had set the following:

Change the hostname from the default "Switch"
    Configure an IP address on vlan1
    Configure an motd banner (I don't believe this is a required step for SSH)

Plugging a PC into the switch and setting it's IP address in the same IP range as I used for vlan1 I was able to use Putty to SSH to the switch. If I simply enter the IP address of the switch I'm prompted for the cisco username and then the candyfloss password. If I set the username in Putty under Connection -> Data -> Auto-login name then I'm only prompted for a password.

IMPORTANT: One thing to note. After I had generated my rsa key pair using the crypto generate rsa command, it was not showing in the running-config. I had to save my config using copy run start and then reload the switch, only then was it in the running-config. Look at your running-config and make sure there's a key in there (a big block of numbers). If not, save and reload.
  • Options
    And now I've just connected from a 2811 router to the 3560 switch using SSH. I set the IP address of FA0/0 to 10.10.2.2 so it's on the same network as VLAN1 is using on the switch, and of course ran a patch lead from FA0/0 to the switch and hey presto, it works!

When I simply typed ssh 10.10.2.1 I got the same error you're experiencing, but when I sent the username as part of the command using ssh -l cisco 10.10.2.1 instead the connection was accespted (see pic attached).