Options

A+ expired a year ago, will network+ cert still renew it?

krycek76krycek76 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
As the title asks, will getting the Network+ certification renew my A+ even though it expired a year ago or is that something that needed to be done before the A+ expired?

Comments

• Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your A+ is gone.
    Your certification was issued on or after January 1, 2011, and has expired. You’ll need to pass the current version of the exam to regain certification.

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/how-to-renew
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you wanted your Net+ to renew your A+ you would've had to have done it BEFORE it expired. You can still get the Net+ but it won't renew your A+. So basically right now you don't have an A+ and you'll need to re-take the exams if you want to have an active A+.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would advise doing your Net+ and move on from A+. If you want to do your Sec+ later then make sure it's within 3 years of your Net+. Get that dream job with your new certs and start moving on to bigger and better things.

I agree with this statement. Honestly, I think CompTIA should give more credit than they do for having a job in the field. Right now the maximum CEUs you can earn in a 3 year period for work experience is 9, which for the A+ isn't even half. For those with the Net+ and Security+ it's less than a 4th or 5th of the CEUs you need. Since the point of getting the certs is to obtain a job/advance your career, I think they need to reconsider this and give more CEUs for work experience. I've known a few people who have let theirs expire simply because they already have a good career and have moved onto higher level certs and don't need to spend the money and time CompTIA wants for them to renew them.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    ivx502ivx502 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The point is that rather than rely heavily on job experience is to get out and expand your horizons. Stay current with the changes that are coming down the pipe. I When you get into the more advanced certifications you realize the CEU/CPE's are a drop in the bucket. Security+ is 50 over a three year period vs. CISSP which is 120 over the same time frame.