Options

Computer

fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is this a good build? Is there anything I could do to make it better? Being used for viewing the web, vm's, video, music. NO gaming.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/w3GhtJ

Comments

• Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    RAM is so cheap right now I'd bite the bullet and max it out with 4x8GB = 32GB total. i always try to max out my ram so you never have to worry about it again
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RAM is so cheap right now I'd bite the bullet and max it out with 4x8GB = 32GB total. i always try to max out my ram so you never have to worry about it again

Yep, I agree
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What you're using it for is fine, you have an SSD that will definitely give you a speed advantage, which I assume you're going to use to put the OS on. As far as upgrading the RAM, I would stick with 16 because it is DDR3, like you said you're not gaming and having an SSD goes a long way already. I'd go with 32gb if it were DDR4.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    thehappyonethehappyone Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I was you and I was on a budget, I would not get an SSD. I also would not get a CPU cooler and use the one that comes with the processor. There are also websites you can legally buy windows for quarter of that price. I would save $200 and spend it on faster RAM and a better GPU. In my first built I made the mistake of buying an SSD and a h100i cpu cooler and then having enough money left to buy an i3. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    You're spending almost twice as much on the motherboard as on the CPU. I'll take a $200 Intel CPU on an $80 motherboard over a $100 AMD CPU on a $180 motherboard, all day every day.

Also see if you can find a GTX 1060 instead of the 960 - why buy old tech for almost the same price?

Absolutely keep the SSD. Swapping it out for 'faster' RAM would yield little-to-no benefit, while an SSD has very real and noticeable benefits compared to a regular drive.

edit: Wait, no gaming? Why bother with the GPU at all? Just use integrated graphics.