Options

Is CCENT Enough?

ProFamousProFamous Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I just passed my CCENT exam today. Really glad I passed, I've been working on it for a while...my original plan was to just go ahead and finish up with the CCNA and call it a day in the networking world. But here's the thing, I really just do not enjoy Cisco at all to be completely honest. I plan to just move on to Microsoft certifications now...but before I do that should I just tough it out and get the CCNA? The ICND2? I have just heard so much about how the CCNA has such great ROI and will give me a good base in IT, regardless of what path I actually end up doing. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco was gracious enough to offer a certification for the first half of the CCNA, but if they didn't, more people would complete the ICND2 to obtain the CCNA, such as the A+ Certification. I believe you should go ahead and do the ICND2, not only because CCNA is more recognized than the CCENT, it will provide you with a lot more knowledge and certainly make you a little bit more marketable.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you want the benefit from the cert I'd go CCNA. Really not much use for the CCENT in my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MuddlesMuddles Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello ProFamous,

I would highly suggest going forward just a little bit more and knock out the CCNA R/S - even if you do not plan on remaining "directly" in to the Cisco world. CCENT by itself does not mean much sadly, when it comes to recruiters and managers while trifling through resumes.

You have invested quite a bit of time I am sure already, it really is not that much more since you have the core basics down. It is just a matter of adding a few more precise blocks.

Everything you will learn in networking will add on to when you run in to problems with your servers, if that is what you plan on doing. It gives you a better understanding of what is happening in the background - what can cause what - and what abnormal behavior looks like.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I vote for CCNA completion. Just might come in handy later.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another vote for going for the full certification. CCENT is a great intro to networking but it doesn't have anywhere near the ROI as the CCNA does. Not only will you learn more from the CCNA, it is more recognized in the industry then its little brother is.