Options

Just passed the N10-006 1st time, here's what I think!

AtlguyAtlguy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed the Network+ N10-006 exam today!!! A+ was about to expire and thought I would go to the next level and studied for Net+ which automatically renews A+, now I have both! This is just MY experience and what I studied and perceive from the test:

Read Mike Meyers Net+ N10-006. Lots of information all which you can not possibly retain. I dedicated 1-2 hrs ery day, goal was a chapter ery 2-3 days. Try to remember concepts. I bought his question pack ($75.00, 950 questions). Having taken the test, his questions were very simplistic and did not reflect the exam.

Read Exam CRAM Net+ N10-006. Less condensed than Mike Meyers but does go throuh the Comptia obectives and backs up many of the concepts in Meyers.

Professor Messer. I went through the whole Network+ videos. But my opinion, just wasn't effective or detailed enough to support many of the concepts. I thought he was more effective with A+ than with Net+. Personally, I would skip Professor Messor and get a third book. You can NOT have too many books on networks.

Made tons of my own flash cards on:
  • Network Devices (Switches, Hub, Routers, Wireless AP, Firewalls)
  • WAN Protocols and Security, DNS, DHCP, VPN, VLan, Wireless Lan
  • Routing Protocols (Interior, Exterior, Link State, Distance Vector Protocols),
  • Wireless 802.11 (a,b,g,n,ac Protcols)
  • Know your ports, Ethernet Cables (from 10Base 2 to 10GB ER\EW and SR\SW)
  • Know Troubleshooting Methodology
Surprissingly there weren't any questions on Subnetting, IPv6 (prolly there is less emphasis with IPv6 on the horizon). But there were a lot on troubleshooting. And the scenerios on the exam was NOT what I read in any of the books I studied. My suggestion, understand subnetting. Know how to take an IP and subnet it to 14 subnets or to 120 hosts. Know how to convert an octet to it's binary form and vice versa. Understand the concepts but don't fret over it. Just going the the CompTia objectives is just not going to get it. Think of today's business networks with a lot of wireless, vlans, virtuazation, all with security in mind. You never know what's going to be on the exam. I beleive the questions are randomly chosen from a pool of a thousand questions.

And pray, and give God the Glory.

Comments

• Options
    ladyfire3374ladyfire3374 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for posting your study plan and experience with the test.
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    AtlguyAtlguy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the cuddos! Having passed that hurdle, it's on to the next. Im looking at the exam objectives for Security+ and I see almost 25%-35% of the Network+ objectives for Security+. All of 1.1 - 1.5 objectives, from NIDS, to Ports to WPA2 was on the Net+. So I am thinking that I might as well go for it! It seeems like of all of what I call The Triad, A+, Network+, Security+, it seems that Net+ and Security+ are the closest related, you do 1 you might as well do the other. If I hunker down, I beleive I can do it in 30-40 days reading 2-3 books and doing practise exams. What you guys think?
  • Options
    EnticlesEnticles Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass

I have been seeing a lot of posts from other users saying the same thing about the N+ and S+ overlap. considering you are likely 25-30% towards an S+ certification it would make sense to capitalize on that whilst the knowledge is fresh in your memory.

I was planning on just passing the N+ to renew my A+ and go back to pursuing microsoft certifications to get my first MCSA but after reading all these posts about S+ being intertwined with N+ i may follow in your footsteps and just bash out the S+ as well and add 2 certs to the resume in the space of a few months.

best of luck in your S+ studies my friend :)
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Amen to that Congrats !
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thanks for the tips.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    TeiwazGodTeiwazGod Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just fyi Cybrary has an option to create flash cards but they are always in the order you make em. There also an option to use other people but if the informaton wrong or out of date..
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Excellent! Congrats! :)
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations and thanks for the tips!
  • Options
    leep80leep80 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I agree with you on Professor messer. His **** sheet is really helpful though.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats God is good :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63