Options

GCIH Self Study Attempt

AsiaMSDAsiaMSD Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
OK - So I've booked a Certification Attempt for the GCIH and will take the exam with the next 4 months.

I will not be taking the SANS course and dont have access to the material - basically prohibitive cost as I'm self funding!

My prep will include

Blue Team Handbook: Incident Response Edition
GCIH Exam Prep: 2nd Edition (started reading this - disappointed so far)
SafariBooksOnline - A host of material here but I'll concentrate on
Hacking Exposed 7 and Counter Hack Reloaded
Also Google / CheatSheets from SANS / etc

I've also be checking the SANS course outline and tools used at

https://www.sans.org/ondemand/course/hacker-techniques-exploits-incident-handling

I plan to take the first practice exam in 4 weeks and then see where i am...

Any additional tips etc greatly received - will update on progress..

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use a screenshot program called ScreenHunter to take a screenshot and save to a folder of both the question and answer on the practice test. Remember to toggle answers before you start the practice test (upper right corner).
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I would also throw in NIST SP 800-61.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AsiaMSD wrote: »
    GCIH Exam Prep: 2nd Edition (started reading this - disappointed so far)

Pretty much anything GCIH published is going to be years outdated, except for the official SANS course books. Only only good thing is the practice tests are the same level of difficulty as the actual exam. If you can get an 80% or better on the practice exams, chances are you'll easily pass the certification exam.

Did you pass your CISSP exam yet?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Index ur books well and try it for a practice test, print out additional notes. If you passed the practice test on first try with your current books u should pass the real exam. You should also take note not to be concern with 'dead theory' questions, those question that you would definitely get it correct once you have the correct printouts.
  • Options
    gwood113gwood113 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would include the red team field manual to complement the blue team. It's short, cheap, and has a lot of useful **** sheets in it.

Edit: +1 to indexing any and all material you plan to bring to the test with you.
  • Options
    digineodigineo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking of taking the exam next month without taking the SANS 504 course. Were you able to pass the exam using books mentioned above like RTFM, Hacking Exposed and Counter Hack Reloaded?
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Were you able to pass the exam without taking the official course and using books mentioned?