Options

When you don't get any feedback after an interview

2»

Comments

• Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is one of my pet peeves when it comes to job hunting. I don't expect a response back if I haven't been selected to interview. I'm perfectly fine with that. But if you select me, and we go thru phone screen, and in-person interviews, the least you can do is send an email saying we're not moving forward with you. I'm sure the amount of candidates they chose to interview for the role is small compared to the amount sending in resumes, so it really shouldn't be an issue. And I'm sure they already have the templates set up, so it's just a matter of plug in name & email address, and press send.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Happens all the time and is the norm. Sometimes they just are too lazy to respond, sometimes they did not feel you were the best candidate and do not want to approach you, sometimes they decided to not fill the position, sometimes the position got filled internally and they do not want to say it was, sometimes they change the job description and no longer fit. I know I had an interview one time and went in for the job and when I walked out I had talked them out of hiring anyone for the position and they reassessed the role and created 3 additional lower level positions. They job description was too broad. This is what you call a free consultation interview.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    I don't mind if I don't selected, but what I don't like is when I make it to the second stage of interviews, meet with the director and they tell me something like we'll get back to you in 3 days and then boom, silence. I mean, how long does it take to send a one line email, or reply to my email .....
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I don't mind if I don't selected, but what I don't like is when I make it to the second stage of interviews, meet with the director and they tell me something like we'll get back to you in 3 days and then boom, silence. I mean, how long does it take to send a one line email, or reply to my email .....

This x2.

It's like their playing mind games.
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've mentioned this on the forum once before, but here's what happened to me. I applied for my dream role... 3rd line support, working at the most technical level in the company, ensuring 99.9% uptime, fixing and maintaining the domain. I got to the interview and they asked me all kinds of technical and non-technical questions. (I don't mean to sound big-headed with what i'm about to type.) I owned it. Every question was answered correctly. At one point, the guy asking the questions seemed genuinely shocked that I had the knowledge of security I did. After the interview, he stood up, shook my hand and said: "Wow. First class. That was a fantastic interview, thank you. We'll be in touch soon". I left the building thinking: "Wow. What a nice guy. What a great job."

Around 2 weeks later, I got an email saying they wouldn't be continuing the process. It was a stock email. It didn't even include my name. I was stunned. I answered everything. The guy interviewing kept telling me how well i'd done after the interview. So I emailed them saying "thanks for your time, can you give me any feedback I can use for the future etc". Nothing. I never heard back from them. This was about 6-8 months ago and even now, it's still on my mind. I live approx 20 mins away from the place and every time I drive past, I get a sinking feeling wondering "what if..."

It was highly unprofessional for them to literally praise everything I did, fill my head with confidence, only to wait 2 weeks before sending a stock email saying i've not got the job.