Options

when does one know they are ready to take the test

x5150x5150 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been studying out of Sybex Lammle 5th edition.
I can get over 95% on the 4 review tests and all chapter reviews.
Also using Semsim, the router simulations seem very ez to me, but theres no vlan switch config labs, but I've configure vlan stuff with my 2900 switch, but only have one switch so haven't been able to do trunked link stuff, and no frame relay stuff.

Do u think I'm ready to take the test now?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    x5150 wrote:
    I've been studying out of Sybex Lammle 5th edition.
    I can get over 95% on the 4 review tests and all chapter reviews.
    Also using Semsim, the router simulations seem very ez to me, but theres no vlan switch config labs, but I've configure vlan stuff with my 2900 switch, but only have one switch so haven't been able to do trunked link stuff, and no frame relay stuff.

Do u think I'm ready to take the test now?
    NO! But if you wait until you know you are ready -- you'll probably be retired. :D

I took my CCNA exam 3 days earlier than I really wanted to because one of my Cisco Network Academy classmates wanted to get her CCNA before her x0th birthday. I took my first CCNP exam because I needed to reschedule before 6pm EASTERN time... and it was 5:05 Central time. My second CCNP exam was taken because I couldn't get to a computer until after 5pm the day before.... so I couldn't reschedule.

That said -- did you take the review tests ONCE after you finished studying? Or did you use them as flash cards and take them multiple time? If you did multiple times, you should have 100%

With only one switch -- how do you feel about STP? Are you confortable with the VTP modes?

Since you used the Sybex book -- how do you feel about NAT? Did you download an update for NAT?

When you look at the CCNA blueprint -- do you feel that you know what kind of questions they will ask?

On the major topics -- routing, switching, and wans -- how do you feel?

Can you troubleshoot those 3 major areas? You know all the show and debug commands to use?

How about the trivia? How do you feel about the networking 101 stuff from INTRO -- cabling?

What about Access Lists? And the biggie -- Subnetting?

I've decided that there are only good 4 reasons to take an exam:
    1. Because you are ready. :D
    2. Because you think you are ready. :)
    3. Because you can't take studying anymore and want to find out if you've studied enough or how much more you need to study. icon_confused.gif
    4. Because you don't think you're ready but scheduled the exam and didn't reschedule it before the deadline. icon_eek.gif

Any of those reasons look good?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    x5150x5150 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thx for all the input! Really puts things in a new perspective.
    I think id have to say option 3.
    i've already spent a lot of time on the book and many free online tests. and i've bought routers and a switch, and simulator.
    yah i just want to find out where I'm at.
    If i need to buy more stuff to get experience.