Options

Cisco leading lambs to the slaughter.

ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
Cisco Reportedly Plans To Lay Off About 14,000 Employees, Or 20 Percent Of Its Workforce

(Reuters) - Cisco Systems Inc is laying off about 14,000 employees, representing nearly 20 percent of the network equipment maker’s global workforce, technology news site CRN reported, citing sources close to the company.
San Jose, California-based Cisco is expected to announce the cuts within the next few weeks, the report said, as the company transitions from its hardware roots into a software-centric organization.

Ugh.

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No loyalty anymore, why not train those who do not have those "software-centric" skills rather than disposing of them?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I suspect it won't be that high. Reuters is basically quoting CRN which is quoting "sources" and basing that number off a Wall Street Analyst's prediction in January. Here's the CRN article: Sources: Massive Layoffs Coming At Cisco - Page: 1 | CRN

At the moment it's news quoting news quoting "sources." Not to say it won't be true or there won't be layoffsbut I suspect the 14,000 number is more sensationalism and clickbait. Time will tell.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've gotten several emails from recruiters looking for systems engineers for Cisco. The problem is it's a 1 year contract that will be reviewed every three months. Good luck getting anyone good like that. Most of the best systems engineers are in permanent roles. They aren't about to leave for that.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yesterday at work I was minding my business when one of the network engineers came over and asked "hey can you talk to the Cisco guys for a minute?"

Having no idea what they wanted I went over and it was one of their Account Managers and System Engineers. They began talking my ear off on how they (Cisco) have "changed" as a company and are now moving toward the software side, especially with security. I got the Sourcefire and Lancope acquisition sales pitch. Guess they really want to jump on the software security bandwagon. Seems like a new vendor pops up every day with the latest and greatest toolset.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I figured something was coming when I started to get an uptick in resumes from Cisco employees (not that I can afford a single one of them). The cash needed for stock buybacks and dividend increases has to come from somewhere.

It could be complete BS and we all know how the media likes to race to conclusions.

Good luck to those that may be affected.
  • Options
    Turns out it will only be 7% (5,500 will be axed).
  • Options
    As I said above, it didn't make sense to be cutting 20%. Stock is at a high, lot of BUs making money, etc. Usually when these things happen, it's reallocating budgets and people, not reducing headcount in the end.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The industry is changing and so will the big players to match!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    stay safe #it-security icon_cool.gificon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    I find IT security to be extremely frustrating but CCNA Security here we come! icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DPG wrote: »
    I find IT security to be extremely frustrating but CCNA Security here we come! icon_surprised.gif

imagine business owners with fear about losing money how frustrated they feel lol.....
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    Less reason now to kill yourself studying for the CCIE in hopes of an eventual Cisco job, they will lay off the biggest salary people first and make do with CCNP's.
  • Options
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    Less reason now to kill yourself studying for the CCIE in hopes of an eventual Cisco job, they will lay off the biggest salary people first and make do with CCNP's.

This is definitely incorrect. Typically when these things happen, it's BUs and other parts of the business that are going out the door or not getting R&D budget or looking to convert contractors. If they were looking to get rid of "high salary people first," they wouldn't have skipped entire segments of the company: https://twitter.com/JoelEsler/status/766010719548637188

Typically when these things happen, they're a readjustment or reallocation of the same funds to something else. Like Networker said, companies have to change to stay ahead. Cisco isn't selling ACE load balancers, MARS, Linksys, etc or there might be an industry shift in a certain market to change so R&D and people in the original BU might need to be eliminated. That spot for that BU might go away but they might apply for another section of the company and take a job there or go somewhere else if their skills aren't a fit. This is business.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    This is business.

A very difficult concept for some to understand.
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    I tend to agree with Iristheangel. Of course we are both somewhat biased as we both hold CCIE's, but her assessment is correct. I've been through numerous layoffs at Cisco, Juniper, and a Gold partner and generally what you describe is not what happens. In fact, people with higher skill levels tend to be retained. Management uses layoffs to thin out lower performing personnel and business units. Whatever happens with Cisco and the industry, in general you are better off being more credentialed, experienced, and qualified. Sorry folks, don't stop studying. (Now watch me get a pink slip tomorrow...)
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Dejavu from 2011 or 2008, when Sun Microsystems laid off people....Not saying this will happen with Cisco but who knows.

Technology is a business enabler, and it evolves to do more with less. If Cisco doesn't evolve, it will be left behind. I don't think they want to be left behind.....
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats the reality with working with huge enterprises like that. Management makes cut backs to adjust the budget to make the numbers work and "restructure" which involves people losing there jobs. Thats just how it goes.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Typically when these things happen, they're a readjustment or reallocation of the same funds to something else...

To provide a bit more illumination... Whenever a large company grows via M&A, they will eventually realize that they're employing more people than they need to meet their business objectives, which is to say, whenever a company is merged with another, there's going to be an eventual reduction in headcount (HP/HPE, IBM, etc...). Most of the time those reductions will come in the form of support and back office staff (how many finance, contracts, and sales organizations does a company need?) as well as offshore support (if you already have an offshore call center, merge the staff and find a labor/output equilibrium).

Just take a look at Cisco acquisitions history, there's some fairly notable names that have been brought in to the Cisco family over the past few years (Lancope, OpenDNS, Sourcefire), so there's sure to be some duplication of capabilities there.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco is trying toncover so many áreas, that is getting hard to be competitive and profitable in all of them, they realizar certain productos line is not making it or adquire a new company then they need to make adjustments to keep the company competitive, even if that means remove certain BU.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Click bait - they are laying people off but not nearly that much. I've heard numbers between 1500 to 2500. I know they are putting spin on it, but i've heard it's a lot of overlap. They've done a lot of acquisitions over the past year or so and they are 'cutting the fat.'