Options

ECU B.S. Industrial Technology IT concentration

ceesquaredceesquared Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anyone here have any experience with the online B.S. Industrial Technology degree at East Carolina University? It offers multiple concentrations, one being in Information Technology. I'm interested in the program but I just want to make sure it's not a watered down IT degree.

Comments

• Options
    AnkhmaticaAnkhmatica Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ceesquared wrote: »
    Anyone here have any experience with the online B.S. Industrial Technology degree at East Carolina University? It offers multiple concentrations, one being in Information Technology. I'm interested in the program but I just want to make sure it's not a watered down IT degree.

Are you paying for it or is the job paying for it?
  • Options
    SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't speak for their BS degree, but since moving to NC one year ago (Raleigh, too!), I've heard good things about their MS in Network Technologies (especially w/ security concentration). I'm not sure what their tuition is for the BS, but if it's as good of a rate as their MS... I don't think it can be beat if you're in-state!
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    Are you paying for it or is the job paying for it?

I'll be paying for it. Not working in the field yet, but hoping to get into it after finishing the BS.
  • Options
    I can't speak for their BS degree, but since moving to NC one year ago (Raleigh, too!), I've heard good things about their MS in Network Technologies (especially w/ security concentration). I'm not sure what their tuition is for the BS, but if it's as good of a rate as their MS... I don't think it can be beat if you're in-state!

Yeah, I actually looked at moving onto the MS after finishing this BS if I decide to go through with it. Their in-state tuition is great for the BS, which is helpful. I'm trying to wrap up an Associates so I can move on to the BS.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds exciting, love the idea of going from bachelors to masters, hopefully the same discipline.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm excited to be going down this path. I think I've pretty much decided on ECU for the B.S. but I'm debating about it vs. WGU. However, right now WGU is still not accepting NC residents for enrollment. I think I'd like to pursue the M.S. at ECU but the Virginia Tech online M.S. in IT looks good too. But for now I should just focus on the B.S. I tend to get my head in the clouds with some of this!
  • Options
    PC_Load_LetterPC_Load_Letter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am starting their MS in Network Technologies with a concentration in InfoSec. I start in January and will report back with an update. Can't beat it for the in-state tuition price and a decent school reputation.
  • Options
    typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I’m looking at the MS in Network Technologies at ECU... how is it so far?
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • Options
    PC_Load_LetterPC_Load_Letter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So far so good. Classes have some pretty smart folks in them. It is a midgrade school. If you want a solid education from a decent school then go for it. I like that it is brick and mortar and has a solid online program. It is respected in the area and priced right. At the Masters level, they keep most things more about an understanding with lots of papers and not nuance level technical test.