Options

WGU - C169 Scipting and Programming Applications

TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
For my fellow WGU students that were required to take C169 - Scripting and Programming Applications:

What materials did you use? The WGU Course provided materials are garbage and I'm really having trouble getting my head wrapped around Java...I have very little experience with OOP Languages to begin with, and I don't feel like the provided material really deilvers the concepts in a logical order.

Can anyone provide some additional resources that my be of use?

Also, whomever has taken and passed this class in the past...Do you have any personal notes you could post?

Thanks in advance!
* Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
* Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
* Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I feel your pain. I, also, had little experience with Java or any other object oriented programming languages. Here are some resources that helped me get through this class.

chortle.edu Java lesson - this website was great to go over the concepts and to practice what I had learned. The author explains it well and goes extremely in depth in later chapters if you need further information.

Horstmanns Practice Qs - Im sure your mentor gave you this advice but it holds true. The practice questions here are quite similar to how the actual exam is set up and having a thorough grasp of every chapter will help you immensely.

Headstart Java - Ok, this was the crown jewel of resources for me. My course mentor recommended me this book after I failed the second time and it has been my savior. You can find it in the WGU e-library. I went through this book from page 1 to about 200 and re-learned every concept like I was seeing it for the first time. The author does a fantastic job of relating Java to something that anyone can understand. Its like it finally just clicked for me after 2 months of being stuck on this class. I finally understood how inheritance, polymorphism, overloading, and other OO concepts work that I just couldnt grasp any other way. I highly recommend this book to anyone struggling with the overall concepts.

Lastly, having a thorough understanding of objects, methods, and classes is crucial. Be able to identify different part of code like a constructor, accessor, mutator, local variable, instance variable, parameter variable, etc. Know your order of operations and REALLY know your operators ( ||, ==, ++,--, &&). Make sure you know how looping constructs work and decisions. The opening Intro to Java section of the rubric is weighted heavy on the exam. Make sure you know what the JVM, JDK, and JRE are and the differences between the them. Know some basic history of Java and why it was designed and its purpose. Open your coaching report and FOCUS hard on the sections you did poorly on. My second exam I did poorly on Objects and Classes. I studied HARD on that topic, ensuring I had a strong grasp of Advanced Object Oriented concepts and everything object, class, and method related. Know what null means and also what "" means. Another important concept to grasp is booleans.

If you focus on these concepts and dive into another book I believe you will be successful. I failed the first two times with a 65 (need 67 to pass) and I passed the third attempt with a 78 (I will take it!). Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hit up a handful of Youtube java tutorials in addition to the materials. I already had some personal experience with programming, so I just had to learn the adjustments in syntax (and try to learn OO methodology, which I'm not sure I still have).
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    djeffrey26djeffrey26 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi bpenn what practice questions are you referring to on the Horstmanns book? The code questions or the flashcards question at the end of each chapter thank you.
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bpenns suggestion of head start Java is what did it for me. After failing the exam horribly (and passing the project on first submission) it was the perfect resource. Forgot to come back and say thank you, so THANK YOU