Starting GCIA after stopping

j1mggj1mgg Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
My company paid for my GCIA to do, but they took longer than expected getting it that I never had time to do it in the evening(also doing a MSc and got a young family). I now have time to do it, but cant seem to get to the extension page to pay for an extension, the time had already ran out a few months back.

Do I need to pay for the extension as I have the books and stuff, or do I need to do that to take my exam?

I have also sent an email to info@giac.org

Thanks

jim

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I believe they give you a certain window after the expiration of access to extend, maybe like 30 days from the expiration and the extension includes that window if you do extend. I think that's what I remember when I was studying for my exams. Other than that you're SOL. First I'd contact GIAC and see if you can pay the retake price to attempt it ($650 I think). If not, you're going to have to pay $1250 to "challenge" it.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Personally I don't think SANS exams are that tough if you jump right into studying for the exam after you take your class, but procrastination usually equals failure. That's been my impression from others that have posted here. For the price of the exam, it's not something to be taken lightly in my opinion.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • j1mggj1mgg Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

As i never sat the exam, i have to pay the price for the challenge it, but they will give me a whole $150 off.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it's funny that you can get a free Ipad or $400 off when signing up for an ondemand class. Does anyone pick the free Ipad? SANS probably has a warehouse full of Ipads they can't get rid of.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They change their promotion regularly. It was $500 off or free MacBook about 2 months back.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm, 10% off plus free shipping for APAC customers.
    https://www.sans.org/ondemand/specials/apac