Options

Stop at an AAS or Continue towards a BS in Networking

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, i have posted once on this site before mentioning the lack of confidence i have with myself or abilities thus far with my skills that i have learned in computer networking, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts with someone someone stopping at an AAS in computer networking or continuing on towards a ABET accredited BS degree in Computer Networking. The way i look at it as far as jobs go, it increases my employment percentage and skills i would think, maybe i might get some hands on at the University, the school is very big and beautiful, and i heard the IT facilities are nice so i would imagine that i would get some hands on with routers and switches. As for my community college, the budget is small so the instructors can only afford things like neacade. The only hands on i ever get is with my server class, but everyone in my family is filled with engineers and they extremely encourage me to pursue a BS degree, but none of them are in the IT field so i thought i would give you guys a shout.

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's a shame that many colleges have this issue today. Lack of GOOD classes that have GOOD labs. I've had this problem at the AS, BS, and now at the Masters level...it sucks trust me. Most colleges today only give you the bare minimum to get you going, and it's up to you to figure out the rest. You'll find that type of training in more specialized classes outside of college. Work on getting yourself that AAS first, although it MAY not feel like your getting your money's worth, remember it's a stepping stone process. You may find the same issue once you go for your BS degree.

I attended college later on in life after I had the real world experience under my belt, and found that a lot of the classes were easy, AND didn't have enough in the way of labs. Sometimes that has to do with the college or university itself and who created the course. This is why they have end of course evaluations. If you are looking for lab equipment, look at getting stuff from ebay for yourself. There's plenty of real world equipment that you can use to gain some additional experience.

Since you are a new member you wont be able to PM members here after a certain amount of posts. Once you do get to that magic number, if you have questions, you can feel free to PM me.
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with kiki162. I found that most of my college courses didn't teach me anything I didn't already know. I just recently backed out of WGU to focus on finishing my AAS because I don't feel that I need it at this point in my career. I'm in the job that I always wanted and almost making six figures. I'm not even going to bother with the Bachelors unless it becomes a job requirement.

I do feel that you should probably have your AAS, at least. However, there are some on this board that don't have a degree and I have worked with few network engineers that make around 150K+ with no degree at all.

It all depends on your current experience, that's number one. Number two is certifications, then finally the degree. But keep in mind, the certs compliment the experience. They do not take the place of it.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes go for your Bachelor's degree, it will only open more doors for you, along the way, pick up some networking certs if you don't have any already, N+, CCENT, CCNA, etc. and attempt to gain all the hands on experience possible.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None