Options

How do you become a competent Network Engineer/Architect

maton91maton91 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, feel free to move this if not in the correct category.

I will be taking my second half of my CCNA shortly (ICND2) however I can't help feel unless you are continuously putting the knowlege to the test it will just slip away.

Is the only way it to keep at it on a day to day basis? Keep configuring, testing, troubleshooting etc? I know in project work there is a need for design documentation like Low Level Designs, Topology drawings IP address schema but don't think it necessarily secures the knowlege unless you disagree?

I'm only been really at it for two months but I feel this is the career path I want to take so any tips please? I intend to have a home lab so I can set up little projects for myself or perhaps refer back to GNS3 every so often to ensure the commands stick.

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    I know in project work there is a need for design documentation like Low Level Designs, Topology drawings IP address schema but don't think it necessarily secures the knowlege unless you disagree?

Not sure where you got this idea of it being low level,but pretty sure you wouldn't get entry level job for such position and its very skilled in fact would be way beyond CCNA degree,i know cisco has some sort of cert for architect etc,but its smth like ccie lvl where you do work for places like campuses or data centers thus developing whole layout and address schemes.
    since first stage is wiring and patch panels - thus you might got this idea from there,it would be work for junior position to roll out cable and make sure its labeled and corresponds with correct port,once that done youd move to developing addressing scheme for internal hosts by their location/branch or role.But in this day and age theres very little and hard to find companies that would take someone junior ,in fact youd need good previous experience just with splicing clamping cables properly.

Since its high level job,and is being done daily-major ISPs merging,changing address block or acquire new ones,best instance on that happening when being online and sometimes if using local isp you see your ips location doesn't correspond to actual location shows up as different country,thus might mean address blocks are being moved.

Anyway not sure where your based but its usually job for those that designed network in place to keep all documentation,and decide on major moves-when changing network or adding new structure to it,def not something that ccna be allowed to do,or given task in.
  • Options
    From what I do/will be doing is to provide LANs and WANs in the industrial sector and providing a design document would be a key deliverable. Perhaps that would come later on though.

My main concern at present is to ensure that the knowledge I've learned sticks. Is the only way to do that by practising on equipment for clients or in my own time?
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    Not sure what you work as atm,or where.Since as said ccna would be hardly getting their hands near such jobs-besides laying few cables -and surely not designing networks for companies unless its small business type 20-50 people at most and some small time contract company short on engineers.

I get your point of doing topology designs and addressing schemes - which with packet tracer 7 out opens whole new level,on any topologies you want to make,scenarios,layouts so that would be good point in practicing.

since even wan would be outside ccna curillicum-mpls or whatever exists now,thus usually setup by contracted company.

As ive only ccna,and no previous experience in networking but from what ive seen and heard,its team work all around,you have your ccnp-e doing main setups and being responsible for developing whole addressing and topologies,thus most of what you want to do would be done at their level.

thus unless you got lucky to land with some contractor that has such business and will be wiling to let you in on such work,then your lucky.But again not sure how it would,since will businesses have all cables patched in,or will it be your job,then layouts will everything be in same place or across multiple floors,since in many cases such work alone is done by good few people just to patch every connection right and label it,who will do all configs/addressing.

since while you finish ccna you will have good understanding on logical designs,but enter any building and physical designs is whole new level,just to grasp whats doing what.

Anyway ive not much expertise but seen my share already on campus business sizes and logistics required,thus if your able to practice on sites then its experience well worth it.
  • Options
    I will be supervised by superiors but I will be designing and configuring the LANs and WANs and then somebody else will test, install and commission.

But I think I need to keep working with kit to ensure I don't lose the knowledge I have gained. You can learn enough to get you through the CCNA but I want to make sure that sticks in my brain so when the time comes I don't want to have to keep checking my notes and stuff.
  • Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been in IT for over 18 years now. I have often looked back at where I started at and where I am and where I want to go. Wasn't long ago I thought I was hanging it up altogether. That was a bit premature and now I have to regain my Cisco certs. Anyway, like everything else, you have to start at the bottom, most of us at least, and work your way up. Study the path you feel you want to take and go for it. Before you know it, you will be the GURU of the office and everyone will be asking you what to do.

It takes effort and time. You won't become an IT genius in your field by tomorrow. Most of us never stay in one job. You will be moving periodically from one company to the next as you gain experience, knowledge and certifications. The company I am at right know holds certifications, experience and COLLEGE in high regard. Notice I said College. They want degrees to back that certification up. Used to be you didn't need a degree. The last job I had paid more than I had ever made in my life, well into the 100K range. BUT, if I had a masters degree, I would have made about 20K more than I did. My counterparts made way more than I because most of them had masters, and some had PhDs. All of them had experience and time in the field though.

It can happen! Just make a plan and put your nose in some books and get some experience. Before you know it, you will be bringing in the dough!
  • Options
    carterw65 wrote: »
    I have been in IT for over 18 years now. I have often looked back at where I started at and where I am and where I want to go. Wasn't long ago I thought I was hanging it up altogether. That was a bit premature and now I have to regain my Cisco certs. Anyway, like everything else, you have to start at the bottom, most of us at least, and work your way up. Study the path you feel you want to take and go for it. Before you know it, you will be the GURU of the office and everyone will be asking you what to do.

It takes effort and time. You won't become an IT genius in your field by tomorrow. Most of us never stay in one job. You will be moving periodically from one company to the next as you gain experience, knowledge and certifications. The company I am at right know holds certifications, experience and COLLEGE in high regard. Notice I said College. They want degrees to back that certification up. Used to be you didn't need a degree. The last job I had paid more than I had ever made in my life, well into the 100K range. BUT, if I had a masters degree, I would have made about 20K more than I did. My counterparts made way more than I because most of them had masters, and some had PhDs. All of them had experience and time in the field though.

It can happen! Just make a plan and put your nose in some books and get some experience. Before you know it, you will be bringing in the dough!

Thank you for your insght.

In your personal opinion you surely cannot be a great network Engineer just by knowing the theory?
    Than
  • Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Knowing theory is one thing, knowing what to do with it is another. As you progress in your career, you learn how things actually work vs. what the books say it is supposed to do. Experience is invaluable and cannot be achieved in a classroom. Some folks just get it, while most of us really have to work hard to figure it out. Until you get your hands on a real live network you won't know what I am talking about.

In my studies I have not come across anything that talks about things like change control, or ticketing systems, levels of support etc. Kind like high school not really teaching you many things you need to know about to help you in life like balancing your checking account and budgeting your money.