Options

VMware Certs Along The Cisco Certification Track ?

pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

In the networking world is it worth getting other certs aside from Cisco?

Im currently studying for the CCNA exam to try and obtain an entry level networking job, I dont want to go for the CCNP until I have actual enterprise experience (as I feel a CCNP is pointless unless you have actual man hours behind it) so was wondering what other certs I can put under my belt for that entry level job position.

After passing the CCNA R&S I am planning to go for the CCNA Security to broaden my horizon. Now and again I hear about VMware and how close they work alongside Cisco tech in the enterprise network, after gaining my CCNA cert should I try and get an understanding or even go for one (or a couple) of the VMware certs?

I currently work at an Apple solutions provider, my main job role is hardware repair however I am slowly progressing on to 1st line support and mac server admin. Within the next year or so I want to obtain some sort of entry level or trainee networking job, hence the question about what certs to get.

Thanks
Pujan
[X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
[  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
[  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
[  ] CCIE R&S LAB

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are they going to pay for your certs? If not, VMware certs can get pretty pricey. Unless you go to like Stanley or some other alternative (usually there's a waiting list), you're going to pay a couple grand for a VCP.

If you want something diverse to under the systems side of things, then I'd go for something like MCSA Server 2012. Knowing how to work with sys admins when you're a network guy is a nice skill.
  • Options
    fumanchufumanchu Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got into Stanly within 6 weeks (VCP5.5). Now they are offering VPC6. You will also get discounted voucher after completion of the course. Virtualization is everywhere and no escaping, so put it in your 'must learn' list.
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pujan96 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

In the networking world is it worth getting other certs aside from Cisco?

Im currently studying for the CCNA exam to try and obtain an entry level networking job, I dont want to go for the CCNP until I have actual enterprise experience (as I feel a CCNP is pointless unless you have actual man hours behind it) so was wondering what other certs I can put under my belt for that entry level job position.

After passing the CCNA R&S I am planning to go for the CCNA Security to broaden my horizon. Now and again I hear about VMware and how close they work alongside Cisco tech in the enterprise network, after gaining my CCNA cert should I try and get an understanding or even go for one (or a couple) of the VMware certs?

I currently work at an Apple solutions provider, my main job role is hardware repair however I am slowly progressing on to 1st line support and mac server admin. Within the next year or so I want to obtain some sort of entry level or trainee networking job, hence the question about what certs to get.

Thanks
    Pujan

In my experience my VMware certs have been very valuable to me. Virtualization is expanding rapidly, so VMware isnt the only game in town like it once was. But, overall, I think the VMware certification are well worth the investment.

If I were you, I would look into the VCP-NV. That would be the certification that would pair best with your CCNA, and in fact, you can use the CCNA as the prerequisite. Check out more details below (Note the "Path 2" option)

http://https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=64294&ui=www_cert