Options

Relocation/Clearance Positions

adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all!

Long time since posting, but this site has been a great resource for me the past few years.

I am entertaining an offer for a government contractor in the South Carolina area. It requires a secret clearance, which would be sponsored by the employer. The position is W2 full-time permanent. I'm currently residing in NJ.

Question, is working for an employer like this vastly different than the private sector I'm coming from? It just feels weird for some reason and makes me uneasy. Secondly, any idea how long a clearance takes to process? Lastly, is it possible to work for another government contractor immediately after this one? The non-compete clause looks fairly standard, but I'm unsure still.

Also, does anyone have any advice for making a 1,000+ mile move? Or maybe insight on the Charleston area? I know this is vague but anything would be welcomed!

Thanks

Adam

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Working for the government does take some getting use to. It's a different pace, but ultimately not too much different then the private sector. As for how long the background check will take it depends. Part of it depends on how many places you have lived and number of jobs you have had. Typically, for a Secret, I wouldn't expect it to take longer than three months and more than likely less.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently making a similar move Adam. My current job is in-house IT for a local municipal government. Beginning September I will start work for a private company that does government contracting, which requires a secret clearance.

The way it has worked for me is that you will get an interim clearance, which only takes a few days after you've filled out all the necessary forms, so you can begin working while they finish the full clearance process that takes longer like Grinch mentioned.

The way I see it I will be working as a government contractor, but am still working for a private company, which I am excited for. Like I said, I haven't started yet so I could have the wrong idea of what it will be like. It comes with a healthy raise, which is the bottom line for me.

Not sure exactly how my non-compete works, but I've talked to others who used to be in the position I am taking and they have said that if the private company loses the government contract, then you have the option of staying where you're at and become an employee of whichever private company is awarded the contract next.

As for moving, I guess it depends on the person. I've moved so much it's not a big deal to me. Ask your hiring company if they will pay for your moving expenses.
  • Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3 months for a secret clearance is probably in the ballpark, although I've seen them take upwards of 5 months. Interim clearances aren't guaranteed, either, but these may be granted once your SF86 and SAC clears (again, I've seen these take ~3 months as well).

The Charleston area is nice. It's a college town, so take that as you will. If you enjoy fishing, SC is fantastic. I moved around the world during my 8 years in the military--my suggestion is to pack light. If you absolutely do not need something, get rid of it.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Government contracting takes some getting used to. But generally, once you're in the door of a place with a valid clearance that's 80% of the struggle, so it's pretty stable compared to a lot of private sector stuff. The other 20% is stuff like getting along with everyone and being competent at your job. I've done several contract positions, it seems like being able to work with others & get along is the biggest thing.

Also, coming from NJ - SC will be a huge culture shock. It is much more conservative, in addition to being the capitol of the South in some respects...

Once your clearance goes through you can move on to other stuff fairly easily.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not worried too worried about culture shock. I've traveled to southern areas and find the slowed-down pace and conservative viewpoints attractive.

There is relocation assistance provided, so the move is feasible. I'm a bit concerned about non-compete, since many of the jobs in the area are government-contracted positions. While the raise is healthy, I so far have found it more lucrative to find a new employer rather than accrue annual raises, so I can realistically expect to want to move on in 2-3 years. Not being able to work for 90% of employers would be an issue.

I suppose I can just ask, though I don't want it to come off the wrong way...
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might want to do some research on if a non-compete is enforceable in South Carolina. If it isn't then you can always try to ask them why they want you to sign it when it's not enforceable. If it is you can always decline signing it and see if they still give you the job.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    adam220891 wrote: »
    I'm a bit concerned about non-compete

I've never heard of a non-compete for a government contract - not sure they exist...
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Non-compete agreements are always dependent on the company. Most companies write whatever they want in to them whether it's enforceable/legal/etc. or not. Some companies will also include phrasing like "This agreement is based on the laws of Virginia where the company is headquarted, blah blah" even though you're working in a different state. I have never personally seen a company try to enforce any of these agreements, especially in the contracting world, that's just impossible. My guess is they put it in there so when the contract comes up for rebid you wont shop around competitors and let them use your resume for the bid. I personally wouldn't worry about it, but of course the standard answer is to have a lawyer review the document if you have concerns.

As far as working for an employer like this goes you'll likely be working in a government building with the customer. It's the same as any other government work. It's bureaucratic, things wont make sense at time, etc. You'll probably be making more than your government counterparts, but they'll get better benefits and training opportunities. I've been in places where contractors were completely relied upon for everything and places where contractors were 3rd class citizens. The work is going to vary based on the environment.

As far as moving across the country, get rid of anything you don't need, and if the employer is paying for it then let the movers do everything. I've seen a lot of people do it themselves to pocket the money, I honestly don't feel that it's worth the stress, trouble, and time it takes.