5 day CCNA course???

pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am currently self studying for my CCENT exam, when I pass this I am hoping to study for and pass the CCNA exam.

I have been looking into the 5 day CCNA courses and am considering taking part (after a few months of self study of course).

I know 5 day courses get you to pass the test but you forget most things ( which is not what I want as I want to obtain an entry level networking job) so this is how I plan to move forward, I will still self study for the CCNA like I am doing for the CCENT but before I take the CCNA exam I will take part in the 5 day CCNA course. This way I have a semi solid foundation and before I take the test I can fill in the gaps during the course.

Also the cost is £950 inc VAT and includes free training if I fail, untill I pass (guranteed pass scheeme).

Do you guys think this is a good plan?

Thanks
Pujan
[X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
[  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
[  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
[  ] CCIE R&S LAB

Comments

• negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I think it's a waste of money at this stage if you put the proper time in to get a grip of these topics. I'd keep the dough and invest in some gear going forward (CCNP etc).
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pujan96 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Also the cost is £950 inc VAT and includes free training if I fail, untill I pass (guranteed pass scheeme).

Holy smokes that is pricey. Save your cash. There is plenty of free stuff or cheaper stuff out there with guarantees as well.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it's an awful idea. 5 days is obviously not enough time to learn the content if you are starting from zero. Also, be careful of "guarantee to pass" deals. The only way you can guarantee that someone passes CCNA in 5 days is to give them a bunch of **** to memorize.

Do it the right way. Get the 2 Odom books, get some lab books, read the theory then fire up GNS3 or PT and practice. Polish it off with some practice tests if you like.
  • carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »
    I think it's an awful idea. 5 days is obviously not enough time to learn the content if you are starting from zero. Also, be careful of "guarantee to pass" deals. The only way you can guarantee that someone passes CCNA in 5 days is to give them a bunch of **** to memorize.

Do it the right way. Get the 2 Odom books, get some lab books, read the theory then fire up GNS3 or PT and practice. Polish it off with some practice tests if you like.

Exactly.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pujan96 wrote: »
    I have been looking into the 5 day CCNA courses and am considering taking part (after a few months of self study of course).
    Pujan

Realize that the user plans on self-studying and then taking a 5 day CCNA course. I think this approach is fine, I'd to the self studying and see how you feel and if you think you need the course then add it in, otherwise like others have said-save that money for other growth.

FWIW: I self-studied for the CISSP for awhile (books, audio, practice tests), and then my employer offered to pay for a bootcamp course also. Worked out well for me, used the course as a good refresher of all of the topics rather than starting from scratch (which some people try to do when they do those bootcamps)
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Realize that the user plans on self-studying and then taking a 5 day CCNA course. I think this approach is fine, I'd to the self studying and see how you feel and if you think you need the course then add it in, otherwise like others have said-save that money for other growth.

FWIW: I self-studied for the CISSP for awhile (books, audio, practice tests), and then my employer offered to pay for a bootcamp course also. Worked out well for me, used the course as a good refresher of all of the topics rather than starting from scratch (which some people try to do when they do those bootcamps)

yeah, that works if the employer pays for the course / bootcamp but if you have to get that amount of money out of your pocket, i really don't think it's worth it at CCNA level. CISSP is a different beast.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)