Options

PTP Elite vs PWK Courseware (eCPPT vs OSCP)

BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good morning!

I have been spending some time comparing the eLearn PTP Elite course vs the Offensive Security PWK course.

I have a pretty good grasp on Security topics, and pen testing methodologies, tools, and execution. I passed SSCP recently, and didn't find it overly difficult. I've also passed CEH pretty easily (I say that only to give an understanding of where my experience is). However, I am wanting to learn more, and get more hands on experience as pen testing is not my day job. The skills I am gaining do apply to my day job, but more from a hardening perspective than that of a contracted pen testing perspective.

I am open to hearing from those who have experience with one or the other!

The OSCP has always been one of those things I've wanted to do. But I am wondering if eCPPT and the PTP course ware is the best place to start as it seems that people seem to find the layout of the material more easy to absorb.

Or, am I barking up the wrong tree? Will both courses end up largely being review?

Thanks guys (and gals)

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My vote is to go right into the OSCP.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have no experience in penetesting and can afford it I'd say do both starting with PTP. OSCP is a lot and they give some guidance, but it will be largely up to you to move from what they show you to applying it in the lab. I could see where having the PTP under your belt will allow you to more "easily" obtain the OSCP (note that I quoted easily because even with PTP you will be in for a lot of work).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    infoseclawyerinfoseclawyer Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What I like about the PTP is how the lab time works. Depending on what plan you get, you have access to the labs based on the hours you are logged in. I've been incredibly busy this summer and if I went for the OSCP, I would basically be wasting lab time since their labs are built on days since instantiation. With the PTP, I haven't incurred any loss. If you are a busy person and don't have nights and weekends to commit to the OSCP, then PTP would be the wiser choice. Although, if you have money and don't mind spending it, then extending the OSCP lab time another 90 days and then another, is an option. The PTP flexibility allows me to spend three weeks learning Python, Ruby, and other subjects that I know nothing about, then going back to the labs and giving them a go.

The PTP labs are geared, more or less, to the section you are working on. For example, now that you've read these 200 slides, go do the web app labs! The labs each come with a solution, so you can find the answer and don't have to "try harder." I did the PTS and loved it and the new PTPV4 (released July 2016) is excellent as well. PWK, I believe, hasn't been updated in years. The PTP videos are excellent (incredible voice actor) and are all recorded with the technique demos using Kali Linux. The forums are great and there is a Slack Tech-exam group for the PTP, that you could join since we are all, more or less, not going through the material that quickly.
  • Options
    BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What I like about the PTP is how the lab time works. Depending on what plan you get, you have access to the labs based on the hours you are logged in. I've been incredibly busy this summer and if I went for the OSCP, I would basically be wasting lab time since their labs are built on days since instantiation. With the PTP, I haven't incurred any loss. If you are a busy person and don't have nights and weekends to commit to the OSCP, then PTP would be the wiser choice. Although, if you have money and don't mind spending it, then extending the OSCP lab time another 90 days and then another, is an option. The PTP flexibility allows me to spend three weeks learning Python, Ruby, and other subjects that I know nothing about, then going back to the labs and giving them a go.

The PTP labs are geared, more or less, to the section you are working on. For example, now that you've read these 200 slides, go do the web app labs! The labs each come with a solution, so you can find the answer and don't have to "try harder." I did the PTS and loved it and the new PTPV4 (released July 2016) is excellent as well. PWK, I believe, hasn't been updated in years. The PTP videos are excellent (incredible voice actor) and are all recorded with the technique demos using Kali Linux. The forums are great and there is a Slack Tech-exam group for the PTP, that you could join since we are all, more or less, not going through the material that quickly.

Thanks for all the great detail! I appreciate your input
  • Options
    KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like the_Grinch mentioned and the Teknique's link noted, if you have the ability to afford it or get it paid for you it seems like eCPPT would be a perfect ramp up to the OSCP. OSCP is a brick wall, so unless you're one of those people how absolutely thrive off beating a challenge yourself, it can get pretty frustrating. I have a colleague doing the OSCP now while I opted to get the eCPPT first. The overlap seems like the follow up will be relatively simple and the learning process seems a lot smoother going eCPPT first. However, if you're hurting for money and can only do one of the two, then the OSCP is where I'd definitely lean towards.
    Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next