Options

Good site for subnetting questions

Everest63Everest63 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□

Comments

• Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not aware of another and I've never seen the same question twice, so either there's a lot of questions or they're random.
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    Thanks for the link; I've been answering the questions most of the day and have learned much from doing so. I've also been using the techniques from this post: Subnetting Made Easy. My thanks to LordFlasheart.

I know that having a good understanding of the math is no bad thing, but I suspect (correct me if I'm wrong) that network administrators use subnet calculators when working, rather than relying on mental/written arithmetic calculations — surly that's what computers were invented for? So, why not use a calculator app in the exam? Surly the point is to get the correct answer, so why does it matter HOW you come up with the correct answer; surly if it's correct, it's correct.
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So you can know WHY the correct answer is the correct answer. Otherwise, why have any questions? You could google everything at work lol
  • Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could google everything at work lol

Isn't that how everything is done? LOL
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    rob42 wrote: »
    I know that having a good understanding of the math is no bad thing, but I suspect (correct me if I'm wrong) that network administrators use subnet calculators when working, rather than relying on mental/written arithmetic calculations — surly that's what computers were invented for? So, why not use a calculator app in the exam? Surly the point is to get the correct answer, so why does it matter HOW you come up with the correct answer; surly if it's correct, it's correct.

It can get pretty easy to do this stuff in your head, and quicker than it takes to load up a calculator and put all the numbers in. You might still check your work with a calculator or a colleague, though.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Wow! You have an impresses collection of Certifications! icon_cool.gif

I know I'm going to have to get my head around the ability to work this stuff out on paper, if not in my head, as, presumably, I'll not be permitted to use my Subnet Calculator during the exam.

I've a very good phone app (I'm an Android user) called Subnet Quick by ItsAtrap Development. It takes seconds to use and I always check my written workings with it.

I think that right now I'm feeling very overwhelmed by all the stuff I have to learn in order to get to where I want to be and trying to remember how to do the math along with everything else I need to remember for the CCNA is a daunting task as I'm not a very academic person.

IMHO, tools are there to be used (and I'm not talking about 'googling the answers') and I know that if I get a job as a computer network engineer, I'll use the tools that are available to me or develop tools that I need in order to help me to be more efficient at my job; it's an approach that I've taken thus far in my working life and something that I'll continue to do.

Thanks for the constructive reply.
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Todd Lammle teaches subnetting in a very clear and easy to learn way. For me personally by the time I took the CCENT subnetting was the easiest thing on the test for me. Maybe I'm a freak but I give Todd all the credit with the way he teaches it.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow! You have an impresses collection of Certifications! icon_cool.gif

I know I'm going to have to get my head around the ability to work this stuff out on paper, if not in my head, as, presumably, I'll not be permitted to use my Subnet Calculator during the exam.

I've a very good phone app (I'm an Android user) called Subnet Quick by ItsAtrap Development. It takes seconds to use and I always check my written workings with it.

I think that right now I'm feeling very overwhelmed by all the stuff I have to learn in order to get to where I want to be and trying to remember how to do the math along with everything else I need to remember for the CCNA is a daunting task as I'm not a very academic person.

IMHO, tools are there to be used (and I'm not talking about 'googling the answers') and I know that if I get a job as a computer network engineer, I'll use the tools that are available to me or develop tools that I need in order to help me to be more efficient at my job; it's an approach that I've taken thus far in my working life and something that I'll continue to do.

Thanks for the constructive reply.

I wasn't being condescending when I said you could google stuff at work. That was a legit suggestion lol. Google is research!

Anyway, if you can't memorize it perfectly, when it is test time, you have about 15 minutes to read over the Cisco agreements. You can use this time, which EVERYONE suggests, to draw out the subnetting chart for yourself so you can have it next to you as you take the test. Such as /25 = 128, /26 = 192 and so on and so forth.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I wasn't being condescending when I said you could google stuff at work. That was a legit suggestion lol. Google is research!

Anyway, if you can't memorize it perfectly, when it is test time, you have about 15 minutes to read over the Cisco agreements. You can use this time, which EVERYONE suggests, to draw out the subnetting chart for yourself so you can have it next to you as you take the test. Such as /25 = 128, /26 = 192 and so on and so forth.

Yes, I second this. Take the pragmatic approach. The aim is to pass the exam, so use whatever technique you like to pass the exam. And in the real world, use whatever tools you have available to get the job done. People are generally much more concerned with the result than the method, otherwise no one would eat sausages.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Cheers for the advice, fellas'

I've a mountain to climb, but right now I'm only just in the foothills...
  • Options
    carterw65carterw65 Member Posts: 318 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cheers for the advice, fellas'

I've a mountain to climb, but right now I'm only just in the foothills...

We're all still climbing!
  • Options
    Mike R wrote: »
    Todd Lammle teaches subnetting in a very clear and easy to learn way. For me personally by the time I took the CCENT subnetting was the easiest thing on the test for me. Maybe I'm a freak but I give Todd all the credit with the way he teaches it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

After searching 'Todd Lammle', I've downloaded a 788 page PDF called "CCNA™: Cisco® Certified Network Associate Study Guide Third Edition". It's 14 years old, but I guess that the fundamentals are the same as they ever were. I'm using this in combination with Wendell Odom Official Cert Guides ICND1 & ICND2.

Still developing my own way of making study notes. I tried simply making notes in a linear way, using a document publishing app, but I found that I was just rewriting the books that I'm reading. I've now started making notes in the form of HTML pages using WordPress, running on a localhost server. This seems to be better as I can now use the menus/sub-menus to navigate to the notes of a particular topic.

I'd be interested to learn how other peeps make notes and what techniques you'd recommend.

Note **New Thread Started. Please post comments in the new thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/122107-study-notes.html#post1047744. Thanks.**