Options

Jobs to look for with A+ and no experience ????????

nnayr3nnayr3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
What type of jobs and tittles would you look for with a MA and BA in communications and a A+ cert. also right now i am in a CCNA year long program? costing 2000

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well do you have any experience in IT at all or any customer service related experience? If so, helpdesk/desktop support may be your best bet. Without a CCNA or getting the CompTIA trio, that is about the only thing that will work. If I were you, I would get the famous CompTIA trio and then study for CCNA. It's a natural building block for people starting off in IT. Yeah I will probably get crap for this but remember that people wouldn't pursue this path if there was no benefit. Having a CCNA without any experience in IT could be good and bad. Good in regards that you have passed the exam but bad since no real world application is behind your name. Unfortunately hate to bring bad news but this field is all technical. Unless you want to get into management, a master's degree won't do you a whole lot. Not saying it's worthless as knowledge is power, but a master's degree won't teach you the ins and outs that a cert can. Best of luck!
  • Options
    no no i appreciate what you are saying. I am aware i will have to start from the bottom which is ok because the advancement opportunity is there. I figure if i get A+ and work in computers while in school once i am done this time next year with ccna, work experience and a customer service background it can help. ive noticed there is more than just the hands on work there is sales, management, a combination and more. i just was trying to get an idea if i am on the right track.
    Well do you have any experience in IT at all or any customer service related experience? If so, helpdesk/desktop support may be your best bet. Without a CCNA or getting the CompTIA trio, that is about the only thing that will work. If I were you, I would get the famous CompTIA trio and then study for CCNA. It's a natural building block for people starting off in IT. Yeah I will probably get crap for this but remember that people wouldn't pursue this path if there was no benefit. Having a CCNA without any experience in IT could be good and bad. Good in regards that you have passed the exam but bad since no real world application is behind your name. Unfortunately hate to bring bad news but this field is all technical. Unless you want to get into management, a master's degree won't do you a whole lot. Not saying it's worthless as knowledge is power, but a master's degree won't teach you the ins and outs that a cert can. Best of luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well you are on the right track indeed. There are so many different jobs in IT from the customer service end like helpdesk desktop support to the recluse positions like programmer all the way to a CISO position. Now having your master's degree will help you later on if you want to get into management or some type of leadership job like senior manager. But being well balanced is key. Being able to have networking, security, system administration knowledge will help you out. That is why I recommend doing the CompTIA trio to build a well balanced foundation from troubleshooting and basic OS functions to networking protocols and how they work to finally having a security foundation. Jumping right from A+ to CCNA is quite a jump when Cisco exams are some of the most demanding but most well respected. Having the CompTIA trio then doing the CCNA made it a lot easier come exam time. Now it is possible to do CCNA without the CompTIA foundation, but it will be a lot harder and will need more study time/study material purchases. Sorry for the long rant. But with a CCNA and customer service experience and your degrees, NOC would be great as it is networking with a customer service aspect to it. Plus, NOC type jobs are typical for fresh CCNAs. I hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    NO NOT AT ALL I DONT THINK ITS A RANT i appreciate all the friendly advice you are giving me! all of this helps me and gets me excited. the computer field is so wide. What i might start off doing might not be what i end in. I definitely will be looking into those trio certs. How long did it take you to get yours? not only am i doing the CC route but i signed up for online program as well. I pretty much will immerse myself into computers but honestly it is actually fun to me.
    Well you are on the right track indeed. There are so many different jobs in IT from the customer service end like helpdesk desktop support to the recluse positions like programmer all the way to a CISO position. Now having your master's degree will help you later on if you want to get into management or some type of leadership job like senior manager. But being well balanced is key. Being able to have networking, security, system administration knowledge will help you out. That is why I recommend doing the CompTIA trio to build a well balanced foundation from troubleshooting and basic OS functions to networking protocols and how they work to finally having a security foundation. Jumping right from A+ to CCNA is quite a jump when Cisco exams are some of the most demanding but most well respected. Having the CompTIA trio then doing the CCNA made it a lot easier come exam time. Now it is possible to do CCNA without the CompTIA foundation, but it will be a lot harder and will need more study time/study material purchases. Sorry for the long rant. But with a CCNA and customer service experience and your degrees, NOC would be great as it is networking with a customer service aspect to it. Plus, NOC type jobs are typical for fresh CCNAs. I hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    Is there a way i can email you directly in here?